Close

3D Printing a Full Size Dinosaur!

They say in Texas that "bigger is better" -- and it doesn't get much bigger than dinosaurs! Texas-based Deep in the Heart Art Foundry has recently teamed up with the Australian Age of Dinosaurs museum, located in the Australian outback. The aim is to create 3D printed, bronze cast sculptures of 12 dinosaurs. The first dino to be created was a Wintonopus, designed by artist Travis Tischler; the other 11 dinosaurs will be created over the next several months. The dinosaurs, which will when complete range in length from 3-18 feet, will be 3D printed on a Gigabot 3D printer in separate pieces to be assembled into large models. Read more about the process of the dinosaurs and the installation at the museum in the full article: http://3dprint.com/31080/3d-printed-museum-dinosaurs/

Below is a photo of a 3D printed dinosaur from Deep in the Heart:

Banned
    I would love to see someone print out a T-Rex at full scale in hundreds of pieces. I have a feeling this will be done soon. I love seeing these larger projects which fit smaller prints together. It shows that even though 3D printers are confined in build volume, that doesn't mean the objects they create have to be.