Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Why not model it out of clay? Modeling clay will have some issues with the thin stuff.
    Then you could scan it. Just my 2 pennies.

As to some one making the real thing. It isnt that far off from a zero turn radius drive for a landscaping mower. The question would be if you wanted it as a go cart or a actual car to be driven. Presuming this is where you were going with some of the above posts.

Can't model and scan - I don't have a scanner. Besides, creating the object with CAD is half the fun of making an actual object.

That's a good idea about using a zero-turn mower if one ever made a person-carrying vehicle, but, unfortunately, Mercier is unknown to most people because he was working in the 50s & 60s and the adults of those times are mainly plucking harps.The significance would be lost on Gen Y. I remember him because I was introduced to his work when I was a child, and I'm a nostalgiaphile.

OME

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Step 9 : Do a revolution on the profile of step 8
    Attachment 4148
    Step 10 : Do a pocket for the rear view mirror
    Attachment 4149
    Step 11 : Do the profiles for the wheel cover
    Its these kind of things that really show the power of the graphical 3D Design tools! I don't think OpenScad can do this stuff so easily.

I wish LambdFF would get back here. All I've got at the moment is a 2D shape for the body in one plane. I need to know how to make the curves to make surfaces in 3 planes.

OME

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I wish LambdFF would get back here. All I've got at the moment is a 2D shape for the body in one plane. I need to know how to make the curves to make surfaces in 3 planes.

OME
    The download has the body suitable for printing doesn't it. Both the STL and the IGS seem OK.

OME
    Hi EMU. Sorry for the delay. On a good note I am now a father (again) and both my wife and son are OK. On a less good note, my CAD soft is CATIA. I'm not familiar with RHINO.

However, here is a bit of advice : if you look at step 1, I just designed a single line, not a section.
    -> this allowed me to use a function that creates a plane at a given point , perpendicular to the tangent of the curb. From what I see in the rhino documentation, it seems what you are looking for is CPLANE
    http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/...nds/cplane.htm

Once i had those planes on several key points of the profile line, it was possible to do the sections.

On the STL I uploaded I think I gave the hull a 3mm thickness and the overall thing about 200mm height. Figured it would make it printable for most printers.

First, congratulations to your wife and you. Your son must be the best Christmas gift you have ever received.

I have only read your post quickly as I have other work to do around the house, but I think I understand now what you did. A small problem I'm having deciphering your diagrams is that they are labelled in French. Are your axes labelled differently? If so can you complete this?

X =
    Y =
    Z =

OME

Engineer
    ome, there is a video tutorial for rhino on exactly what you are doing. its by far the best video i have seen for rhino. they guy goes step by step in making a toy car. it was extremely informative and loaded with alot of cool tips.

http://www.infiniteskills.com/traini...echniques.html

First, congratulations to your wife and you. Your son must be the best Christmas gift you have ever received.

I have only read your post quickly as I have other work to do around the house, but I think I understand now what you did. A small problem I'm having deciphering your diagrams is that they are labelled in French. Are your axes labelled differently? If so can you complete this?

X =
    Y =
    Z =

OME
    Hi EMU, no in fact all those sections are designed in 2D, so it says H and V, stands for Horizontal and Vertical.

jimc,
    I had a look at the free videos of that whole project, and have got some good help from them. It seems that the new "Gumball" facility in Rhino will be of great use. It reminded me of the way Sketchup works. I'll have to try to produce a decent set of 3-views to make a start. I can do the side and front views, but the plan view will take some thinking about.

LamdaFF, please check your PMs. I've sent you an important email.

OME

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123