Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Havent gotten there yet. Ill report back when i get there

So fi ished the printer up today for the most part havent run any filament through it yet still have a little work to do.

For some reason im only getting backlight on the display. With no text even after i recompiled and uploaded the firmware and i have to figure out why the board isnt powering up without the usb connected as after calibration and config i plan to mostly use this stand alone with the sd card and abl.

As to the problem of the heat bed relay and the rambo mount. I have it to at the moment i just have the rambo mou t losely fit in place. Depending on material needed to be removed i may shave the relay pcb down instead of the rambo mount as i can shave it off faster and easier than the wood. If that would eat i to the mount holes ill just remove a combo of both to make sure there wont be any accidental shorts from the rambo board touching the relay.

Now off to buy glass and some more bolts so that i can ensure that the mount isnt the issue.

Pics to come a little later when i get off my phone

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    For some reason im only getting backlight on the display. With no text even after i recompiled and uploaded the firmware and i have to figure out why the board isnt powering up without the usb connected as after calibration and config i plan to mostly use this stand alone with the sd card and abl.
    Does the graphic display on the 12-inch connect to RAMBO through two ribbon cables like on RAMPS? If so, make sure you haven't swapped them. And if you had a RAMPS setup, I'd say the power issue sounds like a 12V connection to RAMPS is missing. The 5V electronics will power from USB when ever it is there, otherwise get power from a regulator off the 12V input to the board. RAMBO should be the same...

There us a jumper i believe to supply the 5v from the power supply instead of usb. Gonna check that out.

And yes it uses the same connector as the ramps board i will double check them

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    There us a jumper i believe to supply the 5v from the power supply instead of usb. Gonna check that out.

And yes it uses the same connector as the ramps board i will double check them
    Yeah, I see the jumper for power selection now on the RAMBO schematic. I had the prior understanding that RAMBO was pretty much an exact copy of the MEGA2560 + RAMPS + stepper drivers, but that's not true to the lower details I guess. I'd prefer the jumper - the automatic power select built into MEGA2560 board can be a pain when you want to shut the printer off while the printer is still connected to a computer.

yeah i found the jumper so that part is working now as i want. still troubleshooting the display. i don't have anywhere to sit my laptop within reach of the 3ft cable they send. gonna power down double check and inspect my soldering on the adapter. and try swapping the cables even though i have them placeed properly according to reprapelectro manual for the 1.1b board.

I figured i should go to the source of the board in the US :-)

and yep they were backwards because makerfarm has you install the board upside down :-)

working now though... so on to calibrating it :-)

I had an issue with the graphic display as well. I tried swapping the cable back and forth a couple of times and it didn't do anything for me. I ended up flashing the firmware as well and after that it worked for me. Reading the build guide led me to believe the firmware was already flashed to the board, but maybe this is not the case. Or at least the firmware loaded doesn't play well with our lcd.

If I remember correctly, there isn't much you can shave off before getting to the mounting holes, but there is about a 1/4" lip on the wooden plate that extends below the rambo board. Like I said, I used 2 spacers on the relay (on the bottom bolts) that were the same thickness as the wooden plate so the upper edge of my relay rests on the wooden plate. With both the rambo and the relay on the same plane, there is about 1/8" gab in between them, so as long as everything was mounted snugly, I don't think you would encounter an accidental short.

layout.jpg

In the image, the wooden plate to the right is what is displayed in the video and looks like it would solve the issue. I may remove my plate at some point and remove that small strip of wood along the bottom so I don't have to use those spacers anymore.

I started printing the test cube and it got about 50% of the way done when it stopped feeding plastic. The extruder gear was moving, but no filament was coming out. I pulled out the filament and hobbed bolt wore down the side of the filament. I assume this means I have a clog in the Hexagon hotend so I'll have to figure out what I need to do to fix it.

My i3v-12" should be shipping out today, hopefully I'll have it by week's end. Interesting to read about everyone's build experience here and in other threads in this forum. This will be my second 3D-printer kit, looking forward to having a second machine, and one that will print in more than just PLA. I have already planned to paint and upgrade it while building, using my first printer to manufacture the improvements "on the fly" (simple stuff to start off with - stand-offs for the boards, perhaps new side pieces for the LCD screen and a custom cable-carrier that I've already designed for my first printer). Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas here!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast