Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    I also say Sketchup. Unless this clip will be the only part. In that case, just go to MakeXYZ.com and find someone local who can make and print it and bring it to you to show you what you can do to improve it.

Note about Sketchup: One bug is the "tiny dimension" bug. To work around it, multiply all dimensions by 100 before starting, then when done, shrink it 100 times and export it (but don't save the shrinked version).

Technician
    If your serious about getting into 2D/3D design but are on a budget, I'd look at ViaCad 9. That's what I settled on and I'm very pleased with it. Feature rich and relatively easy to use. Much better than Sketchup IMHO.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Note about Sketchup: One bug is the "tiny dimension" bug. To work around it, multiply all dimensions by 100 before starting, then when done, shrink it 100 times and export it (but don't save the shrinked version).
    I honestly have never encountered this. BUt that would explain why some models I've imported are insanely huge.....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that would be even easier in openscad.

It's a personal thing but I just don't get on with mouse based gui cad packages.
    Openscad is free, simple and can do things you'd struggle to do with conventional cad. AND it only produces solid models, ready to print with no further processing required.

I've been playing with sketchup a lot, it's definitely the easiest one, for me anyways.

Engineer
    check out infiniteskills.com. there are many video classes covering alot of different cad software. the only thing to note about sketchup is its not a solid modeler. its a surface modeler making it not great for 3d printing. if your learning cad with it and getting used to working in a 3d environment then thats what is important at this point. i tried 123d, sketchup, tinkercad and a few others when i started. i found that the more easy and simple these were supposed to be the harder they actually were for me because they just lack the tools for me to make what i wanted to make. i ended up learning rhino. it is a powerful and professional piece of software with no real limitations. there are tons of video courses on it as well because its so popular. infinite skills, lynda and many other websites are loaded with courses for it of all skill levels. i started with a 14hr beginner course and i was able to dive right into it.

i have been using MOI 3 (moment of inspiration) it is fairly inexpensive, is feature rich, and for me was very easy to learn. personally i tried a number of programs and have settled on this and another one that is free called design spark. a lot of people talk about how easy sketchup is but i just could not get the hang of it even after watching videos, btw there are a ton of videos on both moi and design spark on youtube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12