Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - Another method of optimization is adjusting the model's facet resolution. It affects both the print duration and the print's overall quality. I do a short article HERE describing the Pros & Cons between high/low resolutions.

Engineer-in-Training
    Why does auto-cooling slow it down?

Student
    Print time is only really accelerated on tall (Z) prints.

I believe this issue stems from the difference of using PLA or ABS. (Slic3r mentions how constant cooling is harmful for ABS)

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    Why does auto-cooling slow it down?
    On smaller surface areas of the print, the print head can slow down to allow the layer to cool properly before the next layer is laid down.

You might not be able to use this (I don't know what printer you have, but I assume it's a Makerbot), but I just got E3D's new volcano hot end running with a 1.2mm nozzle and reduced print time for the 20mm calibration cube down from 7 minutes to 2 and a half. Layer height 0.56mm and extrusion width about 1.4. Using 3mm filament keeps the extruder from working too hard.

Technician
    Use Cura Enginee, it slice faster than SLIC3R, then level up to 0.3 mm layer high, speed hmm , test with 90 mm/s. If no support is needed unblock the support.

Student
    While Cura promised a 99 minute print time, the reality was far from that, and I canceled it a quarter way through anyway as it had failed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12