Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Gooood! How to avoid failure printing due to cross tangle 3D filament?

I bought a 3D printer and learned a lot in the past 3 months. It is really a good thing that I can make some fun models and share with my friends. But sometimes I can not print the model successfully.
    Yesterday I wanted to print an owl to my niece Joyce. It had printed for about 7 hours with smooth surface, then the printer head was moving with no filament coming out. The filament jammed on the spool due to cross tangle. What a nightmare! 7 hours for nothing! I confronted this issue last month but I thought it was a random issue. So I didn’t care that much. But now this happens again. Does anybody can help me to solve this issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    weird my extruder motors just keep going till the filament snaps.

And short of respoolingthe plastic - there's not much you can do except try another supplier. Some do tension the spooling machines too much in order to use a slightly smaller (cheaper) spool.

It’s awful. The knots may be caused by the filament supplier’s poor coiling.

Engineer
    as CA said, use a different supplier. i have had this happen a few times in the past year and unfortunately they were all my fault except one. be sure you never let the end of the filament on the spool out of your hand. as soon as you let that go it will unwind a little and can get under one of the other coils without you noticing. sometimes it can take a few hours of printing before it finally locks up. print yourself out a bunch of little filament clips so as soon as you remove the spool from the machine you can clip the end in place.

Maybe different printers react differently.

I will see how the filament works in the following days. If this issue keeps happening, maybe it's time to change a supplier.

Thanks for the advice. That's quite a way to handle this tangle issue. If this doesn't work out, it's time for me to search another supplier.

Actually it is not an inextricable knot. When I cut out that part, the spool still pulled easily. It’s just that knot which stopped the pulling.

Senior Engineer
    Whether it was you or not it is still the fact that the end has gone under some winds that makes it do that. Rewind it onto another spool and never let go of the end and you will find it never jams. Once you have a jam you will never fix it without rewinding. If you make a habit of dropping the end then you are going to have to make a habit of rewinding the spool onto another one.

it is the winding issue when the filament was produced. a random issue but really troubled

Thx~ I will remember to tight up the filament when I withdraw it from the printer. Rewinding it onto another spool may be another choice I can try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast