Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Engineer
    Your motor has 2 coils inside, these are called (for example) coils 1 and coil 2. Each coil has 2 ends, these are called A and B so you have 4 connections, call them 1A 1B 2A 2B. That is the standard notation that everyone uses for a 4 wire motor.

It is explained in the link I posted.

You normally want resistance test not continuity but it does depend on your meter and exactly what you are trying to do.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Your motor has 2 coils inside, these are called (for example) coils 1 and coil 2. Each coil has 2 ends, these are called A and B so you have 4 connections, call them 1A 1B 2A 2B. That is the standard notation that everyone uses for a 4 wire motor.

It is explained in the link I posted.

You normally want resistance test not continuity but it does depend on your meter and exactly what you are trying to do.
    Well I have found the two pairs of pins that show resistance, on my new motor. I will pull off my old motor and check that also.

My main question is the wiring. Do the two pairs or A and B have to be wired to a matching A and B from the old motor? Like A to A and B to B or can I swap them around?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Well I have found the two pairs of pins that show resistance, on my new motor. I will pull off my old motor and check that also.

My main question is the wiring. Do the two pairs or A and B have to be wired to a matching A and B from the old motor? Like A to A and B to B or can I swap them around?
    If A and B are swapped on one coil then the motor will run the other way round. If they are swapped on both coils it will be OK. If you do not wire correctly and swap a terminal from coils one and two then the motor will not do anything.

Engineer-in-Training
    If A and B are swapped on one coil then the motor will run the other way round. If they are swapped on both coils it will be OK. If you do not wire correctly and swap a terminal from coils one and two then the motor will not do anything.
    Then is there a way to differentiate A from B?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Then is there a way to differentiate A from B?
    It is not possible without some serious testing gear and it is not necessary, if it rotates the wrong way then reverse one pair.

Engineer-in-Training
    It is not possible without some serious testing gear and it is not necessary, if it rotates the wrong way then reverse one pair.
    Cool thank you!

Engineer-in-Training
    Thank you thank you thank you!

After some quick work the new motor is in and working perfectly!

Engineer-in-Training
    So I installed the new motor and it is extremely loud and it runs really warm. So warm that it melted some of the nylon standoffs.

I lubed all the guide rods and tightened all my screws and am still getting a really loud motor/printer. Now I am looking to purchase another motor and found the following website:

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ste...rs-c-1_21.html

Am I looking to purchase a unipolar or bipolar motor?

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - If your motors getting toasty you may not have the right voltage stepper. I would test the motor driver with your multimeter and see what the driving voltage is and make sure the motor is rated to handle it.

Examples of different Nema 17 Steppers:

3.4V Stepper

12V Stepper

24V Stepper

*PS: These are just examples of the different Nema 17 style motors, I have no experiences with these sellers.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GOC View Post
    - If your motors getting toasty you may not have the right voltage stepper. I would test the motor driver with your multimeter and see what the driving voltage is and make sure the motor is rated to handle it.

Examples of different Nema 17 Steppers:

3.4V Stepper

12V Stepper

24V Stepper

*PS: These are just examples of the different Nema 17 style motors, I have no experiences with these sellers.
    How would you measure the voltage?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast