Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Makerbot Replicator 5th Generation Problems....

I've literally had my printer weeks and its already having problems.

This is my first printer.. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

It's been printing these... waves.

It works fine on smaller scale prints.. but when it comes to larger scale prints it just doesn't work.

First of all, I haven't even put one roll of filament through this thing...

I've had multiple plugs and issues.

Issue number one. Build plate leveling.
    I swear this thing isn't even designed to be leveled. I have tried using the assisted leveling like 50 times and its great on small scale prints but when it comes to anything large scale it sucks. If I'm not printing with a raft the right had side of the build plate doesn't even come close to sticking to the print.

Issue number two. Wavey prints.
    So I get printing an nice flat blank area.. see the problem with that is... it just doesn't do that. I get this stupid thing happening where the filament coming out of the extruder head sticks to the top edge of the of the previous laid line and then gets lifted before it ever touches the Raft, the previous layer, or the base of the print surface. Pictures attached.

Issue number Three. After thinking that I had Problem number two solved.. I get an extruder 57 error.

So heres what I've tried:

Problem 1
    No Idea. I guess for large scale I'll just have to print with rafts for the rest of time.

Problem 2
    I've tried:
    Heating the Temp of the print from 215ºc to 230ºc
    Slowing the extruding rate
    leveling, and leveling, and leveling and leveling the print surface.
    attaching and detaching the smart extruder.

Problem 3.
    I have no idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    20141123_134133.jpg20141123_134125.jpg20141123_134118.jpg

Bump, Just need some help. Curious if anyone has any ideas that can help?

Senior Engineer
    Most people know, they just do not want to upset you.
    The Makerbot 5 is crap with the "smart extruder" being the worst thing about it.

The word "smart" in this instance is nothing to do with intelligence it is because it makes your eyes water, same effect as a kick between the legs.

There are not enough people that own these for a significant amount of help to be available. I am sure someone will offer suggestions of things to try and maybe with some effort, knowledge can be gained that will help others but for now you are stuck with trying to find out.

Having said all that you need to try a flat build plate even if it is only temporary, piece of glass, bathroom tile, polycarbonate. The problem as shown in the pictures can easily be all down to a non-flat build area.

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Most people know, they just do not want to upset you.
    The Makerbot 5 is crap with the "smart extruder" being the worst thing about it.

The word "smart" in this instance is nothing to do with intelligence it is because it makes your eyes water, same effect as a kick between the legs.

There are not enough people that own these for a significant amount of help to be available. I am sure someone will offer suggestions of things to try and maybe with some effort, knowledge can be gained that will help others but for now you are stuck with trying to find out.

Having said all that you need to try a flat build plate even if it is only temporary, piece of glass, bathroom tile, polycarbonate. The problem as shown in the pictures can easily be all down to a non-flat build area.
    What he said, If at all possible I would attempt to return the printer and pick up a different make or model, I love my rep 2, Ultimaker has an amazing printer, lulzbot taz 4 is another stand out. Again I know its not much help but from all everything I have read, even if you discover fixes to these issues, you have a very long annoying road ahead of you when it comes to owning a rep 5th gen...

Engineer
    It's not your fault, it's those makerbot scum selling their 5th gen garbage. Here's my advice return the product and get a refund for unsatisfaction.

Heck even the Ultimaker 1 still works all after these years.

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Unfortunately I have to agree with what others have said here about the 5th Gen. Read my review and head to head comparison with their earlier gen (and outstanding machine) the Rep 2 here:

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ead-with-Rep-2

We've been super-happy with our Lulzbot TAZs, adding to our fleet. They's slower than the Rep 2 but built like a tank. The 5th Gen is so slow, I think the TAZs might be faster. But the TAZs are super-reliable.

I also just bought a 5th gen as my first 3d printer. It won't even go through the initial auto leveling cycle. Did I just waste over $3k?

Take it back STSGingie if at all possible.

Student
    Im having the same trouble. Very stupid design having only 2 leveling knobs. They had it right with earlier renditions by having 3 leveling knobs. (was bought buy someone else as a group purchase "hey guys, lets buy junk together") and now I have this stupid (and loud) printer that will not level.

It has its fancy light that comes on during leveling, you get it "right" using the front knob when the print head touches down in front,
    lights up, then it levels using the side knob.

But THEN the print head touches down in the back and now I'm supposed to mess with the front knob again!!! What do you think will happen?
    (same thing happens when it touches down on the opposite side messing up the right knob.)

I'll believe it when it says its leveled. Read to print 3-4 small objects (or one long one). When the print starts, front base layer is ok, but as it moves to print the next piece behind the first, the table is lower and the filament just gnarls up like a tangled ball of string.

Any help i fixing this or should I just get a hammer?
    Last edited by Davidsohd; 06-30-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidsohd View Post
    Any help i fixing this or should I just get a hammer?
    Yes the hammer would be fun but wouldn't get the bed level.

Simple fix we figured out:

Ignore the assisted leveling, it doesn't work worth a darn because the smart extruder uses a hall effect sensor to tell when it has touched the bed, and hall effect sensors do not have sufficient resolution and precision for this application.

Instead, in Maker ware position a small 3D object on each of the 4 corners, start the build and just watch. It quickly becomes obvious which corners are low and which ones are high. It will take a couple iterations usually (unless you get really lucky) but this is far more effective than the assisted leveling.

Indeed, the Rep 2 leveling is MUCH faster and MUCH more effective than the 5th Gen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast