Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ... Why not ? I'm sorry I don't get the point.

If you are happy with having a dual extruder, then I am glad for you. It is only extra money to get it. Granted I will wait on going multi extruder. My thought is that a person should only need one hot end with 3 different extruder motors pushing filament in. Much the way a multi color paper type works. The software calls for a specific color and then it it s matter of x amount of red, x amount of blue, and x amount of yellow to create the color. The problem I understand is the weight factor. Too much mass in the nema 17 motors.

So some day there will be a breakthrough on the colors and it will retrofit all current printers.

.. OK
    I think it's like computers. You can keep holding out for "just the next big thing" or enjoy it now.

I chose to start now.

Also, I already wrote about it : dual heads have one big advantage over such a multi extruder single hot end systems. Dual heads can handle multiple temperatures simultaneously, single hot ends can't.

Engineer-in-Training
    Any feedback on needing a removeable plate? Won't the aluminum warp over time?

The aluminium bed is screwed on. If it were to warp, bad day for the rails 'cause the steel frame won't budge.
    I don't see that happening since 110°C doesn't seem enough to do stress relief on aluminium... When we start printing over 300°C I'll start worrying.
    The kapton holds well so far, a wet cloth is enough to remove the glue. A removable plate is not high on my list right now.

So, if you're interested, the sppol support is there : https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fi...orr-metal-plus

Also, I received the heat bed free upgrade pack. The instructins are OK, I just recommend undiscriminate use of aluminium tape to hold it tight. Works much better. Wasn't much into ABS but now it heats up to 110°C real fast. I didn't really time it but it seemed under 5 mins.

Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    My understanding is that aluminum will slowly warp over time, and that's one of the big reasons for glass.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    My understanding is that aluminum will slowly warp over time, and that's one of the big reasons for glass.
    I think it's mainly a cost reason : glass is cheap (compared to machined aluminium), easily procurable and you can get several plates to swap between prints.

Cheap glass cracks easily if your temp changes too swiftly though.

The advantage I see to aluminium is that being screwed the positioning accuracy (and repeatability) is much better if you don't remove it between prints.

Both glass and aluminium can have flatness issues if bought from low quality material / provider, that has nothing to do with the soundness of the technical solution.

Engineer-in-Training
    Is there any feedback then on the long-term flatness of the Plus aluminum?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The biggest issue with screwing aluminium to the hot plate is that unless you also use aluminium screws, you have an expansion difference between the screws and the plate and that difference is what causes the build plate to warp.

Good glass gets round that by not being screwed down :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast