Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The World's Largest 3D Printed Marvin

We've all seen the little 3D printed Marvin figurines. They originated by 3D Hubs and have since become quite the popular little keychain to print to show off your printer's capabilities. We've seen modified versions of this tiny robot in the past, but we haven't seen anything like what one company has done. They 3D printed a 800x600x800mm version of Marvin on a Pivot Maker 3D Printer. It took 180 hours of print time and used over 13 kg of filament. Read and see more on this print at: http://3dprint.com/26321/3d-printed-marvin/

big experience

thank you very much for the wonderful and interesting article.
    I'll tell you why I made this model.
    The key chain marvin oltree to be a sympathetic figure and reference at the community of makers is also an excellent test for the printers:
    bridges, half bridges, overhang, etc ....
    I noticed that large format printers show much more difficulties than little ones, such as for exemple half bridges that in this case they are 6-7 cm long; or the support material that has been generated only for overhangs of 15-20 °.
    The infilling inside and the perimeter is calibrated to have excellent mechanical strength, low weight, and the best possible finishing.
    The simulation in these operations is essential, if you fail gcode, you lose a lot of material and time.

anyway

Marvin has been realized without initial test print, only a test without filament for two days to calibrate the machine and the printing speed

My only goal was to test the capability of my 3d printer:
    - printing time
    - print finishing for the whole printing period,
    - a good surface finishing on the big overhangs,
    - behavior on internal bridges of 6-7 cm

180h is a great time to evaluate the reliability of the printer, but it is absolutely not acceptable for the industry.

therefore
    the next target will be to reduce by four times the building time allowding PivotMaker to became a benchmark for large format printers.

I am very happy for this result and I am looking forward to creating more

Thank you again Eddie
    Cheers

ps. very soon i will upload the time lapse of the entire printing
    Last edited by i3D; 11-22-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: errata corrige

as I promised, here is the time lapse of entire printing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXjqW_pMb1I
    bye

Senior Engineer
    I want to see the scrap box from the failed attempts.

It's amazing!!!! I never see 3D priner. I have no idea how could this happen. But this Marvin looks really nice.