Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RepRap Vs. MakerBot

Can anyone tell me what the advantages of a RepRap model printer would be over one of the MakerBot models? I've been debating which I should get for a late christmas gift, and really can't make up my mind. Would you say a RepRap requires someone more advanced in 3D Printing?

Depends what you want. The Makerbot is essentially to all intents and purposes a trade built system based on a reprap. As far as a reprap is concerned the sky and your imagination is the limit with it being open source. Essentially no two repraps are the same because it's an evolving product. The reprap I built is slightly based on the Prusa i3 but I have made alterations as it's evolving.

Engineer
    why go for the big name? bigger doesnt mean better. spend some time on the makerbot google group before you go that route. see what the people that own them have to say. imo there are far better printers at a better price point. that said though, if your a do it yourself person that likes to build things then the reprap is prob more for you. if not then there are alot of out of the box printers out there. now more than ever. there are atleast 2 new printers per day being posted on here.

My son and I have been involved with and building printers since 2010. We have almost as many RepRaps as Makerbots. Most are used constantly. Right now we use the RepRaps for PLA and the MakerBots for Abs (Due to the enclosed boxes.) I am also a big fan of the new Ultimaker 2. If I were going to recommend a printer to a friend, I would seriously have them look at that!

Engineer
    john i saw the new ultimaker at the ny makerfaire. that looked like a real nice machine. not crazy about a bowden extruder but other than that its definitely a nice piece.

Jim, I am sure you saw my son and I in the 3D Printing Village at Maker Faire NY. I was a little sketchy of the bowden extruder at first but we had an Ultimaker last year and it printed beautifully. I can not wait to get my hands on an Ultimaker 2.

ulti-clearvase.jpg

Engineer
    probably john but that place was a mad house. thousands and thousands of people. that tent was like a dance club on a sat night. lol

I simply believe that if you want to be someone that is contantly upgrading your printer, so that yours doesn't become outdate, then the RepRap is for you. If you are a person that is not that tech savvy, and just wants to get started printing, go for the MakerBot. They have great tech support and the product is nice.

Engineer
    i have no makerbot experience at all so take this for what its worth. but according to about 90% of the people on their own official forum they have terrible support and the printers need hundreds of dollars worth of aftermarket upgrades just to get them to work properly.

Jim, MakerBot has sold thousands and thousands of MakerBots! The number of people on that forum (my son and I are two of them!) is but a tiny percentage. Most people who bought MakerBots don't ever visit. Almost all the forums I belong to (cars, bots, guns, tech, etc.) are dominated by complainers. When they are having problems, they seek out ways of expressing their discontent!

I also agree with BurnItDownBaby, the repraps are perhaps easier to keep current with the large online support group. I love my Prusa i3, and if I have an issue, I just ask Joe Prusa for an answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast