Close

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse

Zortrax - Anybody Have One?

Zortax has contacted us about becoming resellers for them. Now that we've got a good bit of experience with prosumer grade machines, we've learned that there are some pretty nice units out there and some to definitely stay away from. Since they're based in Poland, I sorta doubt they're gonna give us a demo unit to try out. So has anybody here got one, and what can you tell us about using it? Specifically what problems have you had, and what did you learn that they don't tell you about before you buy it? Every model of printer we've got has had SOME kind of issue at one point or another, and none of them are as easy to use and problem free as the manufacturer's web sites would have you believe. TIA!

Technician
    Just go to Zortrax webpage and browse the forums abit. The good and the bad is all in there. I have one off the V1 printers and i would recommend it to anyone that want a printer for ABS, and yea it is very easy to use.

Technician
    Octave is now a reseller for Zortrax: http://www.octave.com/p1173433367/Zo...duct_info.html

Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhuster View Post
    Just go to Zortrax webpage and browse the forums abit. The good and the bad is all in there. I have one off the V1 printers and i would recommend it to anyone that want a printer for ABS, and yea it is very easy to use.
    Thanks for posting. What specific problems have you had? Can you describe their software? One of the things I wasn't too cranked up about is that you (1) have to use their software and (2) have to use an SD card, you can't connect it to a computer.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by American 3D Printing View Post
    Thanks for posting. What specific problems have you had? Can you describe their software? One of the things I wasn't too cranked up about is that you (1) have to use their software and (2) have to use an SD card, you can't connect it to a computer.
    Software is very easy to use, can't be more simple then that imo. One thing is that you can use support with z-suite and it will be very easy to get off with minimal marks left on the part. Wifi will be done in a fw sometime in the future, they have promised that a long time now. I don't know why it takes so long.

Printing big parts with ABS i always have to fight warping, i use 3 side enclosure and abs-slurry to reduce problem. I had a few small problems, the display blacked out on me in the beginning but they sent me a new one and no problems since that. When unloading filament a small blob can sometimes get stuck and you have to remove stepper to clear it. Perforated bedplate get small parts off ABS under it and that makes it uneven, i glued it down and no problem after that.

One thing almost nobody talks about is that it never clogs when printing, and 24 hours print is rarley a problem (except warping ofcourse).

Student
    Add DanielKilgore42868 on Shapeways
    Octave is now a reseller for Zortrax: http://www.octave.com/p1173433367/Zo...duct_info.html
    Yeah, I'd say to network with Octave and any other US retailers who carry Zortrax and ask them about the printers. Octave also carries the Zortrax ABS and Z-UltraT filaments for the printers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielKilgore42868 View Post
    Yeah, I'd say to network with Octave and any other US retailers who carry Zortrax and ask them about the printers. Octave also carries the Zortrax ABS and Z-UltraT filaments for the printers.
    Thanks, that's a good idea. I saw that Le Fab Shop in France carries them so I emailed them and asked what they thought.