Close

3D Printed Levitation Device Anyone?

Startup Magnafield has produced a working prototype of what might just be a huge new use for 3D printing. The new company is developing a platform-based technology that can suspend objects without physical contact -- levitation. Gatis Zvejnieks spoke with 3DPrint.com about some of the development process, as well as the company's hopes for their technology's future. If the views of their levitation device prototype and Zvejnieks' words are any indication, implications for the tech could be massive. From levitating art sculptures to exchanging data between devices and levitating parts that could be used for robotic operations in quarantine zones, the levitation technology could have far-reaching uses. See more details, and some videos of the levitation in action, in the full article: http://3dprint.com/25747/3d-printed-levitation-device/

Below is a look at Magnafield's levitation device:

Technician
    I love these articles where the business owners act like they are using some magical just invented technology when all they've done is re-purpose old technology by adding it to something 3D printed.

Engineer-in-Training
    Here's what i see happening there. Static magnets are in the sphere, electromagnets are in the stand above and below the sphere. Inside the sphere there is an induction coil (most likely mated to one or more capacitors to smooth out any power fluctuations). When the switch is flipped the electromagnets are cycled in some way. Either on/off very rapidly or reversing polarities. That causes the supporting magnetic field to be constantly changing without ever actually going away which would cause the sphere to fall. The changing field creates an electric current in the induction coil (just like wireless charging mats do for your cell or gps) which while weak, is enough to power the LED's.

Overall the tech as I described it would be "relatively" simple. However the end effect is definitely very cool. I wouldn't complain if someone got me that for xmas.

Staff Engineer
    Best case scenario, it's a tiny, tiny copy of the maglev system used by the Hendo hoverboard, in which case Magnafield and Arx Pax might have to duke it out in patent court. Worst case scenario it's tech from the 1980s and a very steady hand placing the ball in the sweet spot of the field.

Personally, I'd like to see it be an independent invention of the Arx Pax/Hendo/Whitebox technology, competition in a tech field always breeds new and awesome things.

Technician
    I can guarantee you that it's exactly what soofle talks about. It's simply an electromagnet holding the ball up with a hall effect sensor providing feedback to adjust the electromagnet's intensity.