Close

Solid or shelled print confusion

When I use Sketchup, my models appear to be solid but are in fact a series of connecting planes without thickness. If i fed this Gcode to a 3d printer what would I expect?

Do i need a plugin to shell or solidify the model?

Tap handle fina2l.jpgTap handle final.jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    run it through netfabb cloud first, then put it through the slicer, it will do the work for you

http://cloud.netfabb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    run it through netfabb cloud first, then put it through the slicer, it will do the work for you

http://cloud.netfabb.com/
    Thanks for this tool. Ill give it a shot. I ended up redrafting it in Autodesk Inventor.

Tap Handle Solid Colored.jpg

Heres where Im at in Inventor. Still got some work to do

Quote Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
    Tap Handle Solid Colored.jpg

Heres where Im at in Inventor. Still got some work to do
    This looks great. Do you own a bar?

What ended up happening with netfabb? Did it make it solid or shelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkened View Post
    This looks great. Do you own a bar?

What ended up happening with netfabb? Did it make it solid or shelled?
    Thanks man! I'm really not sure what netfabb did. I ended up ditching sketchup and going to Inventor and redrafting. I now have a solid object which is what I think the slic3r needs.

I dont have a bar but I do have a 4 tap kegerator. I like to brew my own beer.

(Better late than never)...

I use sketchup for the modelling, with the sketchy physics plugin for checking clearances and motion problems, export to stl (stl export plugin), use netFabb Basic to auto-fix any holes and make any changes to orientation then re-export it back over the original stl, then chuck it through slic3r..etc.
    Sketchup has some very nice plugins, including one I found recently called 'bender' for bending shapes around paths. Ever wanted to create a really nice nut and bolt?..get this plugin to bend a thread profile shape around a helix. Too easy.