Close

Can I get the Pronterface display represent what is actually happening?

Working with the Pronterface display is a bit difficult because the functions of the X and Y jogging buttons are counter-intuitive. Here's what I mean:

The home positions (0,0,0) on my print bed are at the right rear of the bed as shown in this picture:

Home Positions.jpg

and this is a screen shot of the Pronterface display with a file loaded. Notice how the toolpath starts in the lower left corner to move to the print area.

Pronterface interface.jpg

If I click the +X jogging button the extruder moves to the left, which is in the -X direction of the Cartesian plane. Likewise, if I click the +Y button, the bed moves to the rear of the printer, bringing the extruder to a -Y position.

For some reason, if I run some Gcode, such as this:

Gcode for servo arm.jpg

the print goes ahead quite happily, although it is being printed in the (-X, -Y) quadrant.

If I want to follow the print layer by layer, I have to take this view from Pronterface and rotate it 180 degrees so that the diagram displays the movements I and seeing on the print bed.

Layer 1 of print.jpg

My question is:

Is there any way I can modify Pronterface so that it when I click +X or +Y jog buttons the print bed moves in the positive direction relative to the Origin located at the right rear corner of the bed?

Old Man Emu

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    hmm the only way I could even think of that is changing the endstop logic in the firmware, but that of course then reverses the direction of the Max and Min, so yeah it would work but then you have endstops in the opposite ends...
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

I'm actually in the same camp. I had to rotate my origin to the back right because the early Auto Bed Leveling code had a problem with probes in negative space. (My probe is to the front left of my nozzle). I moved all my end stops. I had to print new pieces for that to work. In hind sight... I didn't have to do that.

Right now, I home towards minimum numbers. I can leave my end stops where they are, and home towards Max numbers and then invert my X & Y axis. I'm toying with the idea of doing that because I would prefer my origin is front left. And that PronterFace goes the direction where you click the target.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I never tried the settings since I moved my home to the front left corner, but Repetier Host has the option to selectively reverse X, Y and Z that might do it. I don't see similar settings in Pronterface.