Close

refund/replacement for myfaulty printer?

I bought a 3d printer from a company located in Brooklyn, New Work, online and had the product shipped by them to me outside of US.

The product was of unsatisfactory quality as it didn't function as expected. There was a lot of email exchanges between me and the company where I attached photos and videos clearly showing the problem. The company suggested a number of things to try to fix the problem, but none of them worked (and I told them that).

Lately I talked about this issue with other customers who had bought the exact same printer and all of them had that issue with the product.

Lately the company has stopped replying to my emails about what the problem might be and before has ignored my email about getting a refund or replacement. They have commented that "normally" they would have the product sent back to them for inspection. Shipping the product back would cost $200 (excl. tax/customs) and take about a month.

At first I found a problem in my carriage and showed them photos and videos of why it is faulty and asked for a replacement, but they said they would send me a replacement if I send them this faulty one back, at my expense!

Now I've had it, I don't want a replacement carriage, which I'm not even sure is the only problem with their printer.
    I want a refund. I've had it. For a month I've basically been a free beta tester for them and wasted enough time on +50 emails, and making photos and videos to prove the printer is faulty. Their cheap chinese PSU also failed and I had to get a replacement, and I had to spend more money to buy a multimeter and fine tune their motherboard which they hadn't done themselves and suggested me to do as a possible solution to my problem. And now they are so cheap they refuse to send a replacement carriage which is basically just 3 3d printer parts, 2 bearings, few nuts and bolts and 2 rods without me sending the old one back at my expense.

What can I do? Can I demand a refund from them, my bank, etc. or a replacement?
    I know there are a number of bureaus I could submit a complaint to, but that doesn't guarantee a refund/replacement, just a pretty bad image and lots of hassle for a startup company.
    Last edited by termi899; 11-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Moderator's Note:
    This thread was originally posted out of sight in the Off Topic sub-forum. I thought that it was more likely to be discussed in the General Discussion sub-forum.

To Termi899
    Please name the Make and Model of printer you purchased. That information will move the discussion along.

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    particularly if -as he claims - it's a general problem with this specific printer.

Also it's quite likely that someone round here will know how to fix the problem for less than the postage to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Also it's quite likely that someone round here will know how to fix the problem for less than the postage to send it back.
    That's was what I was thinking.

OME

I'm afraid this is a problem with a new iteration of the printer and not many people have noticed it yet and none have found a solution. I'll try this forum too though.

If we are going to help you fix this problem we are going to need information about the make and model and the details of the problem. If you can't supply this information, you cannot expect any help.

Old Man Emu