Close

Add GameProps on Facebook Add GameProps on Thingiverse

What the 3D Printer companies are missing

Best title I think I could come up with. For the most part 3D Printer companies out there all have the different models for sale, and then you have places like 3D Hubs and MyMiniFactory among others that people can sell their services to print items for people. But why is it so hard to find a 3D FDM printer that you can rent to own? Similar to going into a furniture store and renting to own a TV or a Sofa, in the long run the companies selling the printers would make more of a profit in the long run and people who cannot afford to buy a printer outright, can sign a contract, pay a down payment and the shipping costs and continue to pay off the 3D printer by using it for printing objects for people.

Now of course I don't know all of the legal mumbo jumbo that comes with Rent to Own property, but for people that cannot to buy a $800-$2k printer flat out and don't have good enough credit for a credit card to purchase something like that would help them out in the long run by renting to own the printer. In my case I don't have very good credit, but most of these furniture companies don't really care about it. Still most financing options or bank loan options are out of the question for me.

I looked into it a while back, and there was one company I was able to find that did financing for 3D printers where you could rent to own it, the only catch however that I found out later is that the financing was only for businesses so I was back to square one. Does anyone else think that the rent to own idea would work for individuals or would it fail?

Don't you have Hire Purchase schemes or consumer credit in the USA?

Old Man Emu

As for the hire purchase, it would be nice if there was something ike that here where the 3D printer could be paid off with goods printed from the machine. In short I'm talking about that with the rent-to-own idea, where you would sell 3d printed objects or services through a website so you could pay off the printer. And as for consumer credit I think most of that is limited here in the USA to certain states or cities. Most credit places where I live are Federal credit or Bank credit, and with those probably like consumer credit you have to have a pretty good credit score to even be considered.

Staff Engineer
    If you have bad credit, it's unlikely anyone will want to loan you money on easy terms, although overpriced furniture may be an exception. Manufacturers aren't in the business of lending money; most "lease to own" schemes are conducted through third-party leasing companies, which are, as you've found out, oriented towards established businesses. If your plan is to make money by printing items for people, you should be aware that there's lots of competition for those dollars, and the people who use those services are too cheap to use regular service bureaus, so profit margins are very tight.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by GameProps View Post
    Best title I think I could come up with. For the most part 3D Printer companies out there all have the different models for sale, and then you have places like 3D Hubs and MyMiniFactory among others that people can sell their services to print items for people. But why is it so hard to find a 3D FDM printer that you can rent to own? Similar to going into a furniture store and renting to own a TV or a Sofa, in the long run the companies selling the printers would make more of a profit in the long run and people who cannot afford to buy a printer outright, can sign a contract, pay a down payment and the shipping costs and continue to pay off the 3D printer by using it for printing objects for people.

Now of course I don't know all of the legal mumbo jumbo that comes with Rent to Own property, but for people that cannot to buy a $800-$2k printer flat out and don't have good enough credit for a credit card to purchase something like that would help them out in the long run by renting to own the printer. In my case I don't have very good credit, but most of these furniture companies don't really care about it. Still most financing options or bank loan options are out of the question for me.

I looked into it a while back, and there was one company I was able to find that did financing for 3D printers where you could rent to own it, the only catch however that I found out later is that the financing was only for businesses so I was back to square one. Does anyone else think that the rent to own idea would work for individuals or would it fail?
    There are already many Ebay sellers that now offer "Pay as you go" I have seem some charging as low as $20 per month, which at the end of it you own the printer.

This is regardless of your credit rating, it's just down to whether you have the money in paypal. You don't pay up, obviously paypal starts sucking your account dry.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

I have not seen this on eBay, but it's good information that I will look into. So far I haven't found anything that matches the criteria.