Close

3D Printing's Future: What Excites You The Most?

As we sit here in the midst of almost explosive growth within the industry, what excites you the most about the potential within the 3D printing industry over the next 5-6 years?

I'll start. Most of the predictions I find say that printer sales will double each year for the next 4-5 years. This means the community of 3D printing enthusiasts will grow, leading to even more incredible designs, innovations, and affordability. I personally think many analysts are underestimating the market potential over the next 5-6 years. By 2020 things are going to be crazy in my opinion. I know I am biased, but exponential growth will catch many off guard.

Engineer
    I was first impressed with all the overhyped..... Now, I am not that excited when I got deep into my 3D job. I feel the use of this kind of technology in the consumer world isn't that clearly defined. But then what will make me excited again is probably the quality of the finish, similar to machining through lathe or mill.

Other than particular reason that justify a 3D printing at home or school and in term of serious application and not only prototyping, it's still not there. FDM technology somehow has reached its potential. SLA on the other hand requires to use expansive resin and some of them are not that easy to manipulate,and it is harder to conserve.
    SLS is still not ready for the consumer and so does Polyjet ....

I see the potential in industries, where the needs to get a quick design done through prototyping. But then, too much people will instant buy a 3D printer and to realize they fail to realize how it works. At least, it is the case in my region. Kijji just list tons of 3D printers where sellers, claimed to have used under few hours and has to get ridd of it.