Food-safe materials refers both to inhalation of fumes and migration of particles on contact. For FDA approval however, only migration counts. I agree with most others above who say that generally, a 3D printed item will be safe for occassional food contact.A lab in Denmark did a study on migration of 3D printed materials and found no migration whatsoever except on SLA resins. And all migration was at very low values and under the accepted limits. The study was done with water as soluble medium in order to simulate saliva. Since the sucking of babies is the highest health risk factor in our population. I haven't seen studies yet with fatty or acidic soluble mediums, you can expect more migration but still values will be low.When selling 3D printed items, check the MSDS for a certification. Also for items that are in prolonged contact with food/beverages (mostly containers) it is best to use food-safe graded materials which are more and more available. Personally I would prefer natural or light colored PLA since it has the least additives. Especially in darker colored filaments they found metals in the dyes such as chromium, molybdenum, arsenic, copper, zinc, lead, nickel and tin. No cadmium and mercury though. You also want to avoid modified PLA's to be more visco-elastic because it is likely to contain MMA.