Close

Threaded View

Engineer

Opinion's on "Food Safe"

I have been reading around a lot about the different materials, the tiny crevaces that are in the product because of the print method, etc etc. I am just curious on some of your guys opinion's about this. I understand that none of it is FDA approved and most likely will not be for some time. I'm more curious on personal thought's. The FDA is not the know-all of everything

Do you use your print's on anything "food"? Be it popcorn, something to split a egg? If so, what material and post print stuff will you do it it, like a food safe cover on it?

What about thing's made with ABS, and acetone smoothed. That should close "most" the microscopic holes, am I correct? Then there is the whole issue that it was coated with Acetone...

I hear Nylon is decent for some things. Say, a ice cube tray. What's your opinions on something like Nylon material, for something like a ice cube tray?

And as for the Acetone, how much of that is left on the finished product, like for example, I made a whistle last night and smoothed it out. Obviously the whistle is still going in my mouth a bit, would that be a cause for worry?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bassna; 11-10-2014 at 01:49 PM.