Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician
    You can do the same thing in openscad. Import the .stl, difference it with a cubic object large enough to eclipse the base, overlapped enough to fix the level problem, re-compile, export the new .stl file.

Cheers,

John

CAD in Autodesk Fusion 360, saved in stl format
    e-mail the file so i can receive it on my old laptop used for my printer in the basement
    download stl file and open with Repetier host,
    slice in Repetier with Sli3er.org
    then print with repetier

the advantage of the old laptop is the webcam that is pointed at the print area which i can access remotely (using VLC software)

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    CAD in Autodesk Fusion 360, saved in stl format
    e-mail the file so i can receive it on my old laptop used for my printer in the basement
    download stl file and open with Repetier host,
    slice in Repetier with Sli3er.org
    then print with repetier

the advantage of the old laptop is the webcam that is pointed at the print area which i can access remotely (using VLC software)
    Why the email route? Just curious as if it is on the network anyway capable of getting email why not just FTP or drop it in a shared folder?
    Could also run a little VM (using Virtualbox) hosting Octoprint - which is very tiny, works on a Raspberry Pi and you then have the benefit of the web interface to send/start/control prints AND webcam

Edit:
    Just realised, Octoprint doesn't support Makerbot/Flashforge S3G code...

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's actually really easy to make a model flat in Blender (any model) just put a cube below the object, covering all of the base of your model with the top of the cube, boolean operation the cube away, it will cut the bottom off your model clean.
    Yes that how I usually do it, but as I said, the mesh is too dense and boolean errors out, I've tried everything I can think of to make it work. That's why I was curious what other methods people use for fixing problems. Sounds like a lot of you are using CAD programs. The things I am designing are more decorative with highly sculpted meshes so I think that may be create additional challenges. Leave it to me to make things even more complicated. ;-)

Engineer
    ....I would try to import the STL into Tinkercad, make a hole box at the bottom, and group it. Then export to whatever. Not sure if that would work for you...I could be completely wrong about what your trying to do. But this is how I make a object flat for me :P

2a52e0959d104008ddbcb78e4a555fb6.jpg f94fd7b4bd32e53a8b8adc7cd90f606c.jpg

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    ....I would try to import the STL into Tinkercad, make a hole box at the bottom, and group it. Then export to whatever. Not sure if that would work for you...I could be completely wrong about what your trying to do. But this is how I make a object flat for me :P

2a52e0959d104008ddbcb78e4a555fb6.jpg f94fd7b4bd32e53a8b8adc7cd90f606c.jpg
    thanks is I will give Tinkercad a try- can't hurt! Do you use that as your primary design software? Or more for repairing?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    thanks is I will give Tinkercad a try- can't hurt! Do you use that as your primary design software? Or more for repairing?
    I'm still pretty new myself, been doing this stuff for about 2 weeks. But I do use Tinkercad for a lot, its really simple and easy. I think it get's overlooked because of that reason, but I use it for ton's of things. Unfortunately, they do work on the site quite a bit and it crashes sometimes for awhile. Happens. I will run the STL through this: https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/ and it will return you a repaired file, they say. You could also manually do it through Netfabb basic, google that if you are interested. I use Makerware for slicing and exporting the x3g for the printer.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    Yes that how I usually do it, but as I said, the mesh is too dense and boolean errors out, I've tried everything I can think of to make it work. That's why I was curious what other methods people use for fixing problems. Sounds like a lot of you are using CAD programs. The things I am designing are more decorative with highly sculpted meshes so I think that may be create additional challenges. Leave it to me to make things even more complicated. ;-)
    Errors on Boolean operations in blender only happen on non-manifold meshes, ie not watertight. If you netfabb it first there should be no issues.

Tinkercad as stated above can do it also, but what Tinkercad is bad at is dealing with high poly meshes - it can perform booleans on them but it can crash the webpage pretty easily if they are super complex.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12