Close

Engineer

Kinematics, 4D Printing at It's best

Wow, this is pretty remarkable. It's a method of 3D Printing, or should we say 4D Printing which allows you to print huge objects in small printers? How you may ask? Kinematics prints compressed objects, for example a dress, and then you stretch it to form once printed. If you don't quite understand, then watch this video about Kinematics:

As you see the system prints out anywhere from 10 to thousands of interconnected pieces which allow the final object to have the ability to shape shift in thousands or even millions of ways. Just imagine once they are able to perfect this technology and use a much smaller scale. The possibilities are absolutely endless.

Here is a picture of some small Kinematic pieces printed:

Pretty cool indeed. I'm not sure you would call this 4D Printing though, but nevertheless, it's pretty awesome!

Engineer
    Well it does ad another dimension to the objects printed, that's why it is being dubbed 4D. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Right now the technology may not be something of great use, but if they can scale it down and improve on the basic tech, this could be huge for the 3D Printing industry in my opinion.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    4th Dimension?
    If you want to hear a very smart kid explain it, watch this, it really is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGguwYPC32I