Close

See the difference in filament quality

Hey guys

After testing my new Felix 3.0 dual extruder this weekend I finally have some proof why you shouldn't buy cheap filament.

The orange is LD filament (high quality) and the white is a no name ebay brand. Now you can clearly see the difference in quality of filament looking at this road cone print.

B1-So75CQAExEWW.jpg

https://twitter.com/QUESTPACT/status/531304522657062912

Here's a better look

image1.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    2 things - is it pla or abs.
    and what temps did you print both at ?

It's a pretty grey 'white'. I haven't had any filament that grey - yet. Just ordered the cheapest pla white I could find on ebay.
    It's £5 a roll cheaper than the reprapper stuff I'm currently using - want to see if there's £5 worth of difference.

And that's a nice clean dual print - congratulations :-)

What software did you use ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Playing Devil's Advocate... I would expect filament from different sources to have different characteristics, for example the white one could have a lower melting temperature than the orange one, so at a printing setting that works great for the orange filament the white one may be too "runny".

Both are PLA sliced with KisSlicer. Both were extruded at 192.

The white reel just observing the filament before its extruded looks and feels a bit "chalky" has a dusty feel to it. The tolerances are also really bad. I also bought a brand new reel of cheap purple. It also has a "chalk" type look to it and it tends to clog my extruder on almost every print. I really don't want to throw away filament but i also don't want to mess up my machine.

Thank you for your finding!
    Since both are PLA and are extruded at 192. Great temperature for PLA.
    I noticed the white filament is "over extrude". Mean the white filament has bad tolerance.
    Orange filament looks great and smooth.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - I have put together a short review of some of the filaments I've used from SainSmart, RioRand, SeeMeCNC, & Makergeeks.

Hope this info can help: http://goc3d.blogspot.com/2014/11/3d...ic-review.html