Close

Question Recommendations for first 3D printer - tech-head with $800 to spend

I've been wanting to get into 3D printing for awhile but didn't have the cash to spend on what seemed worthwhile until now. My budget for the actual printer is about $800.

I'm fine with some DIY, but I'd want to go with a full kit rather than having to hunt down bits myself. So far I'm sort of leaning toward either a Printrbot Simple or a Mini-Kossel full DIY kit from a place like makergeeks.com.

Print bed size isn't a big deal since I'll mainly be printing small items, like board and role playing game pieces (e.g. 25mm minis, custom tokens, etc). Detail and accuracy are probably my highest priorities, but since I can't afford a couple grand, it's hard for me to know which is the best way to go.

Future upgrade-ability and mod-ability are fairly important too.

Any suggestions between these two models or other units I should be looking at?

I want to buy on or around Black Friday, since that's when I'll get my bonus, so if anyone has secret info on upcoming sales ...

Thanks!

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Don't forget to look at the Makerfarm machines. Their new V-Slot design is performing well from what I can tell. I have the older version and love it. After a year of hard use it is still performing like a champ with no problems or issues at all. It fits your budget and is good as any machine costing twice a much in my opinion.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Question Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Don't forget to look at the Makerfarm machines. Their new V-Slot design is performing well from what I can tell. I have the older version and love it. After a year of hard use it is still performing like a champ with no problems or issues at all. It fits your budget and is good as any machine costing twice a much in my opinion.
    Thanks, I hadn't looked at these yet... they seem pretty decent. I'm impressed by the claim of a 50micron resolution, at least i assume that's what they mean by "layer height". The Printrbot and Mini-Kossel both seem to have a 100micron resolution for the same price or more.

Do you have photos of any sample prints from your Prusa?

Do you happen to know the difference between the J-head and Hex head nozzles they offer as well as the different sizes? Like why would you prefer a .35mm over a .50mm head (or vice versa)?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Here are a few prints. I'm not sure which head printed which but I have a Magma and a J-head. The J-head prints whatever I throw at it: Nylon, Pet, ABS, PLA and Ninjaflex. I like the .4mm head over the .5mm head. It gives cleaner small parts. The last photo below is the cleanest tower torture test I've seen as I've searched forums. It's really, really clean. I printed it using Kisslicer.

We are limited to 5 photos per post so I'll post a few more after this one.

CustomParts_s.jpgElectronicsHousing_02_s.jpgFeathers_Final_s.jpgKISSlicer_TowerTorture.jpgNV4D9972_resize.jpg
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Cool thanks!

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Good luck with your search. It's not as important what you get as it is to just get one and start learning. Most of the printers in that price range are pretty good and have subtle differences that aren't that deal-breaking overall. You are going to tweak anyway. It's likely this won't be your first printer. So get going and learn and get hooked like the rest of us. Let us know what you get and post some photos.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Technician
    I bought a MakerFarm about 3 months ago and can confirm what RobH2 has said. Solid printer, cheap price, very good prints for a sub $1000 printer, complete kit (minus glass for the bed which I got from Lowe's for $2.00). But the biggest reason I purchased the MakerFarm was the hugely active userbase, tutorials, and youtube videos available to get me started. Like a full youtube series of videos by Colin at MakerFarm doing a step by step of the entire build of the kit, including setting up the software and completing your first prints. This was worth the price of the printer alone to me being a complete noob. The other big reason is the open source software and firmware which gives me a very wide range of free options for useability. I think there are better printers on the market, but just not anywhere near the $600 I spent for this one, and certainly not with the same level of beginner support.

I was looking at my first printer as a throwaway for learning about 3D printers and how it all works so I could choose my next much more expensive printer with a good amount of knowledge of what I really wanted, and what really mattered in a higher end printer. But honestly, I'm not even close to realizing the potential of this printer yet and have been very surprised with the performance level. I'm turning out prints that exceed my original expectations for prototyping small parts. Plus, it is very easily upgradeable in so many different ways with its open source design. Not a bad choice at all IMO.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Now that 'Drone' has weighed in I'll make a few more comments. I too bought the Makerfarm thinking I'd learn on it and then go buy a more expensive printer. Honestly, I'm not seeing prints any better in a variety of forums than what I get. I also don't feel I have not taken this printer to its full potential yet. I've read posts where people slam a wooden frame and make other derogatory comments. I don't think any of those people have ever owned one. I've had no issues with wood warping or doing anything that would lead to poor quality or malfunctions. If anything, it makes it easier to modify the printer because you can drill holes so easily in the frame to mount things. If you make a mistake, you can seal the hole with wood putty and you are as good as new. With metal frames or tubular frames, it's much more laborious to drill and make modifications.

Secondly, you'll find NO supplier as accessible as Colin at Makerfarm. I've written him at least 4 times around midnight and every time I've gotten a response within 15-minutes. Your mileage may vary but, the takeaway here is that the guy never sleeps and is always answering customer questions. I've never had anyone respond to me at midnight (EST) unless they were in western Europe where it's morning already. Granted, in Utah, where they are it's only 10PM, but, it's still impressive.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Reminds me of an old song

"We belong to a mutual ad-mir-ation society"

I've got a Makerfarm Prusa i3 8". Just take a look at all the stuff in the MakerFarm forum and all the stuff about auto bed leveling. And Colin is soooo approachable and quick to answer. No one has come up praising any other manufacturer for the high standard of their after-sales service and advice.

Old Man Emu