Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    M499 is not an officially supported GCode. If you add the code to your firmware it will work. But, you don't really need it to get your firmware's EEPROM updated. Its just a 'Nice to Have'.

Student
    Thanks Roxy, that makes things a bit clearer.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    M499 is not an officially supported GCode. If you add the code to your firmware it will work. But, you don't really need it to get your firmware's EEPROM updated. Its just a 'Nice to Have'.
    Please Explain how this M499 works then so I can write it down.

Student
    So, I've been looking at this trying to understand it - You edit Config.h with the specifics for your printer, you flash the printer, print something and turn off the printer. When you turn it on again the controller ignores the edited Config.h and restores the pre-flash values held in the Eeprom. Is this correct? If it is, do you need to add M500 to the end of the Config.h before you flash? And if M503 prints the settings from RAM, how do you print the settings from the Eeprom?
    Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I really feel I need to understand this.

The way Marlin works is if the EEPROM is enabled, it fetches all its values from the EEPROM. So, when you first turn on the EEPROM capability, you need to do a M502 to load the values specified in the Configuration.h file instead. And then save those to EEPROM with a M500. At this point you can just tweak any value you want changed without re-building and uploading the firmware.

This new command M499 just loads a version number that can never happen into the EEPROM. So when Marlin powers up, it checks the firmware version number and compares it against the data version in EEPROM. There will be a mis-match and Marlin will default to using the Configuration.h settings until a new data set is saved in the EEPROM.

Student
    Thanks Roxy, it's beginning to make sense now. I'll play some more tomorrow and see if I can get it to work nicely. Thanks again, you're doing great work sorting out our problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12