Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Material that can go into the mouth

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on 3D printed saxophone mouthpieces. So I need to find a material that can go inside the musician's mouth and which is durable.

I already used the MED610 with Polyjet, which was really nice but it seems that this material is not durable at all.

I also used PA12 with SLS but the surface is quite rough and porous.

Do you know any other material that could be used in that purpose?

Regards

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pet ?
    it's foodsafe. Which just means that when you burn it it doesn't give off toxic fumes.
    And it's non-poisonous in it's unburnt state.
    Also non-biidegradable (which would rule pla out).
    It's also pretty tough.

Staff Engineer
    PET is commonly used to make milk jugs. Just make sure your printer is very clean and whatever you use to get the print to stick is nontoxic and you should be good.

Oh, yeah, and figure out how to reliably print PET, I hear the stuff is a bit tricky.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    really ?
    I heard it's as easy to use as pla - I've got some loose. Soon as I get the chance I'll try it out :-)

Student
    Add IntServo on Facebook
    I am getting some petg end of this month. if anyone want some samples you can contact me.

Engineer
    Pet is quite easy to print with in general but same as any plastic there are a million different formulations of the stuff and all have their differences. The stuff that intservo is offering i have sampled myself and from what i can tell in the bit i printed it was extremely easy and probably the strongest plastic i have used to date. Almost identical to colorfabb xt. Priced the same as pla and abs as well. I was impressed with it. On the flip side there is coex3d's pet filament which is completely different and imo not suitable for use at all in home 3d printers. Taulmans t-glass is different as well and falls somewhere in the middle. Taulmans suff is always difficult simply because their extrusion always sux and diameters are all over the place. Madesolid pet+ is good as well for any of the translucent colors. Expensive but good. Pet will eventually take over the abs market someday though. Prices are slowly coming down. The stuff intservo has is priced now about the same as pla and abs. Hope this helps a little on pet choices since i have tried about every one of them.

Thank you for you answers! I guess PET is use with FDM, right? Can it be used with other techniques?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes PET is for FDM:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...l-PET-filament

Did not know that Coex had PET... it is not on their site.

Student
    Add IntServo on Facebook
    I got PETG samples now. If anyone like to try out with your printers, let me know I can send over a 40 feet sample. Or if anyone has a relatively small thing you want to print and a good fit to PETG's advantages, let me know.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    FormFutura's HDGlass is a FDA foodsafe approved PETG and not all too hard to print with.
    Let us know how it turns out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast