Close

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Has anyone ever looked into tweaking how the Arduino IDE uses the avrdude programming utility? There's no reason why avrdude can't reprogram EEPROM values when reflashing the firmware. I do that all the time with avrdude in my non-Arduino AVR projects. Not always since sometimes I do want to retain the old EEPROM data, but it's a simple command line option with avrdude to go either way.
    I looked into this a bit. Apparently the Arduino IDE doesn't give you the flexibility to tailor the avrdude command line. At least not until Arduino v1.5. I did see a forum post mentioning how the avrdude commands could be modified in the <arduino folder>/hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt file, but you have to be at v1.5 or higher on the IDE to have that file.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I looked into this a bit. Apparently the Arduino IDE doesn't give you the flexibility to tailor the avrdude command line. At least not until Arduino v1.5. I did see a forum post mentioning how the avrdude commands could be modified in the <arduino folder>/hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt file, but you have to be at v1.5 or higher on the IDE to have that file.
    However... There would be a software hack around to get around that. If you were willing to wipe the EEPROM any time you changed the firmware, you could store some information in the EEPROM so you know its time to change it. For example, if the CRC of the firmware image doesn't match the CRC of the firmware that wrote the EEPROM, you wipe it. But.... There is already a version # stored in the EEPROM of the format of the EEPROM data. If the data format changes, it 'invalidates' the EEPROM data. Perhaps, part of the directions for getting Auto Bed Leveling up and running is to change your EEPROM data format version???

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112