Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A 3d printer for metal filament doesn't exist (yet). Metal melts at a too high temperature, you would need some heavy equipment to make this possible. Maybe you could use tin or something which melts at just under 300 degrees, but it would come out too liquid, and just form a drop before it gets solid; wouldn't stay in one place like pla or abs. That's why metals usually get poored in a form which is removed after cooling. But who knows what the future brings; it's sure an interesting concept! Keep on thinking about it maybe we can change the 3d printing world forever!

Bye!

So far i've only seen that use a welder, But those will probably be very bad as quality of the product goes, and can't imagine it easily be detachable from the surface,

Those that work in Powder, laser sintering, will probably always cost to much, i doubt that the powder wont cost alot either probably that will be something that we as consumer wont be able to use it alot either. (Again not completely sure, As i can't find store that quickly selling em :P)
    And as health goes i've heard (aint sure) that it isnt great for your health either

The next 3D printing generation is SLA, Stereolithography, almost without a doubt as FDM is simple quiet bad as resolution goes when you compare it, and if you see the peachy printer, well you can see where its going,
    I didnt see to much prints of them yet, i don't know how long it takes for a print, But i doubt that we will be using FDM over 5 years wich is quiet soon.

Rough guesses but the technology is there, and its becoming cheaper at the point that FDM will some day simply go away, atleast for smaller parts like we use, For people that actualy use it for big furnitures like a chair, i doubt those will use SLA very soon as it would take ages.

The only metal printing project i've seen so far was this: http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap
    Been in progress for a while now and i guess it will still be quiet pricey, But i guess you might will be able to buy it for 5k.
    Last edited by DrLuigi; 04-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    But i doubt that we will be using FDM over 5 years wich is quiet soon.
    I don't see FDM going away at any point. It's not the best for everything, but it's just right for some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    I don't see FDM going away at any point. It's not the best for everything, but it's just right for some things.
    Thats why i said that it will be only for most of us that make smaller parts, Example bigger prints will easyer be FDM as it will probably be faster when printing.

Everythings gets replaced by something better at some point, And i guess a large part of FDM will be soon circa 5-7 years if i would guess it.

Ok thanks Davo didn't see that yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12