Close

30% Of Americans Think 3D Printing of Guns is OK!?

This is something that bothers me quite a bit. In a recent poll, asking is the Government should prohibit people from making a working gun with a 3D Printer, the results in my opinion are a bit surprising.

Who in their right mind would support a law like this. It means that basically anyone could easily get their hands on a 3D printed gun (kids, convicts, etc). Anyone here support 3D Printing of guns?

Super Moderator
    I suspect that "allow" in this case mostly translates as "I don't care if people whomp up plastic guns that are only capable of firing low-powered ammunition and are as likely as not to literally blow up in their faces.".

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Personally, I would allow it. I would one day like to design my own gun, but I would do it legally and get a license first.

ofc I'd take gun safety classes first.

I like not being an idiot about things.

Another school shooting in the USA! 100 people per day dying of gunshot wounds. Violence and murder the staples of TV and Movies.
    Information like this: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-duncan-adults
    The majority opinion regarding gun control being overridden by the minority.

Do you realise that the US projects itself as a culture of gun toting, rednecks?

Most of the rest of Western culture is past the need to hold a metal phallus to prove its worth.

Old Man Emu

Technologist
    This is just a big excuse for our politicians to act like they are doing something about the gun culture problem in the U.S. There is absolutely no evidence that 3d printed guns will contribute to this screwed up situation. I am not about guns but really wish that folks would stop flying off the handle about this. The gun freaks that are printing these are totally loving the attention. If government and the press would just ignore them then I think it would all go away. It is just a hobby for these guys. The ones you have to watch out for will never be advertising what they are doing.

Amen. Bloody media likes to make a mountain from a molehill on a regular basis... then again, FOX News is considered a "comedy channel" in Holland...

It does worry me that criminals will be able to easily obtain a gun through 3D printing, whereas it would be much harder without 3d printing. However, if someone wants a gun, they will get it regardless.

Plastic printed gun debate is a joke

[QUOTE=JacobysOne;3418]This is something that bothers me quite a bit. In a recent poll, asking is the Government should prohibit people from making a working gun with a 3D Printer, the results in my opinion are a bit surprising.

How were the questions of this "Pole" written for the "American People" to answer? I always wonder who takes these poles and how qualified at anything they really are.

I can't figure out all the Hoopla over this deal. A zip gun is anything that you can make from any material which still must use a cartridge or bullet that is metal and has gun powder and a primer and a bullet. That metal thing called a bullet makes this detectable.
    The thought that a plastic printed gun is somehow a new thing is to me ridiculous.
    Anyone can fashion a gun from plastic but it's not necessarily going to work.
    Still you must need a bullet that will fire and a firing pin too which is plastic.

This whole debate is stupid and a waste of time and a waste of time for Congress as well.

If you print a lower for an AR-15 from a CAD model for an AR-15 that is designed for machined or forged Aluminum you will not
    have a structurally sound product. It can't be structurally sound because you took a part meant for aluminum and printed it with weak PLA or the like.

Convicts don't need a printer, they have Fast and Furious to give them any gun they want for free. LOL

Again, this whole debate is a joke. Spend time on useful things instead. That's my two cents.

Make love not war!

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Another school shooting in the USA! 100 people per day dying of gunshot wounds. Violence and murder the staples of TV and Movies.
    Information like this: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-duncan-adults
    The majority opinion regarding gun control being overridden by the minority.

Do you realise that the US projects itself as a culture of gun toting, rednecks?

Most of the rest of Western culture is past the need to hold a metal phallus to prove its worth.

Old Man Emu
    The Majority is the Constitution and Bill of Rights. It's not about a "minority" overwhelming the "Majority".

Fact is the states now have some form of "concealed carry" law on the books and gun violence is down not up.

It's not 100 per day. Statistics say 30,000 per year.

How much of that is "gang" related? Chicago, Gary, Indiana, New York, Washington D.C.
    Just go look at who is doing the killing and shooting. Look at their mug shots.
    Tell me they could ever figure out how to run a 3D printer.
    They can't find their butt with one hand let alone two.

Ain't no chance they will ever print a gun from a plastic printing machine. LOL

Ain't no freaking way.

It is completely legal to make your own firearm out of anything. From buying materials at home depot to buying an 80% lower receiver and drilling it out, it's 100% legal in the US.

Does 3D printing make this easier? Not really. If anyone thinks a 3d printed handgun is a danger you probably have not seen one.

Does it make it easier for people who should not have them get them? Again not really. I don't know if you have been outside but if someone wants a gun they will get it.

So.. Banning 3D printed guns would be very pointless, and also be a violation to our rights. People need to stop 2nd guessing the constitution and learning why it exists in the first place.