Close

Banned

BioPen: A handheld 3D printer for surgeons

This isn't something you or I will be buying, but it's a pretty cool 3D printing pen that allows surgeons to basically draw cells and growth factors onto the body.

the BioPen extrudes cell material inside a biopolymer such as alginate, which is in turn encased in an outer layer of gel material. Both the outer and inner layers are combined in the pen head as it is extruded and the surgeon "draws" to fill in a section of damaged bone.
    The extruded material is solidified as it is dispensed using a low-powered ultraviolet light source fixed to the pen. This provides protection for the embedded cells as the surgeon applies them layer-by-layer to form a 3D scaffold in the damaged bone.

Once the cells have been laid down in the wound site, they multiply and differentiate into nerve, muscle or bone cells to eventually form functioning tissue. As well as cells, the device can also be used to seed growth factors or other drugs to promote regrowth and recovery. The developers say the hand-held design provides both precision in the operating room and makes the device easy to transport."This type of treatment may be suitable for repairing acutely damaged bone and cartilage, for example from sporting or motor vehicle injuries," says Professor Choong. "Professor Wallace’s research team brings together the science of stem cells and polymer chemistry to help surgeons design and personalize solutions for reconstructing bone and joint defects in real time.”
    I can't imagine it will be long before automatic printers come out that take the work out of the human hand. I love the fact that 3D Printing seems to be advancing medicine faster than anything else.

It certainly looks like an amazing future is ahead of us with 3D Printing in the medical field. Here is a video of the above mentioned BioPen

For some reason, I don't look at devices like this as 3d printing. It's basically just a pen that draws using cells. How is this 3D Printing?

If it was a machine that was operating the extruder, that it would be 3D Printing.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Lifer View Post
    For some reason, I don't look at devices like this as 3d printing. It's basically just a pen that draws using cells. How is this 3D Printing?

If it was a machine that was operating the extruder, that it would be 3D Printing.
    I agree. This isn't a 3D Printer, just like that handheld 3D Printing pen shouldn't be considered a 3D printer. They are 3D Pens. There is a difference. The makers just ride the 3D Printing wave to try and get publicity for their products.