Close

Technician

PVA Filament - How To .....

How do you use the PVA just for the Supporting pieces? I have some but not sure what to do next :-)

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I would assume you would need a dual extruder. And a slicer that works with dual extrusions.

Technician
    Sorry should have said I have a Duel Extruder

Which slicing software do you use? Do you have it configured to work with your dual extruder? If you're using Slic3r and you're already set up for dual extrusion, go to Print Settings / Multiple Extruders. You can select which extruder prints different parts, including support.

Technician
    OK Back again, 3D printing is only when I run our of my other work :-)

Thanks 3dkarma, here is what I have available

Printer is the FlashForge Duel Extruder and I load everything through SD Cards so its not Connected to the Computer.
    I have a Roll of PLA and a Roll of PVA loaded ( PVA is what I want all Bridging done with as it washes away with water.
    I'm Using ReplicatorG Software version 0040
    Under GCode/GCode Generator/ I have 4 Items
    Slic3r 0.X - Experimental
    Skeinforge (50)
    Skeinforge (47) - Legacy
    Skeinforge (35) - Legacy
    Under GCode/Edit Slicing Profiles ...
    The Replicator - Default
    The Replicator - Fast
    The Replicator - Fastest
    The Replicator - Highest Quality

So I need to tell the Right Extruder with the PLA Loaded to only do the Bridging work. If this software isn't going to do it I will look at another ( Free? ) one is someone can give me a few steps

Thanks in Advance

I only know how to set Slic3r up for this; there may be instructions for other slicing software - you'll have to google it or ask for help here. It looks like you're using a version of Slic3r integrated with ReplicatorG. I would recommend downloading the latest version from slic3r.org and using it separately to generate your gcode, which you can then copy across to your SD card.

In Slic3r:

1. Go to Printer Settings and under the General tab, increase the number of extruders from 1 to 2. You should already have "Extruder 1" in the list on the left of the window; increasing the number of extruders will cause a second extruder to appear.
    2. Click on Extruder 2 and set up for your printer. I'll assume this extruder will be the one PVA is loaded on. Set your nozzle diameter, extruder offset and other settings for your printer (hopefully you know what these are). The retraction length should be 0 for PVA. Save the printer settings.
    3. Go to Filament Settings and create a new set for your PVA filament. I understand printing temperature should be about 190C, but look to the manufacturer for the recommended temp.
    4. Go to Print Settings and click on Multiple Extruders in the list on the left. Select the second extruder for support material.
    5. Go to the Plater tab and you should now see to combo boxes under Filament. Select your PVA filament settings for the second combo box.

You should now be able to load an STL file in Slic3r and generate the gcode for your ptiner. This is a really, really, really abbreviated set of instructions, but it should get you started. It's difficult to get more detailed without more info on your setup. Things to watch out for include nozzle offset, making sure your existing settings carry over from an earlier version of slic3r, making sure the correct nozzles are selected for each filament.

Hope this helps.

Technician
    OK, THANK YOU .... I have downloaded Slic3 1.1.7 and have run the slic3r.exe ( or should I run the slic3r-console.exe ) Now to Play ... so this will replace my need for ReplicatorG? so I can create both GCode and the .sg3 File?

Thanks Again ( back to Play Time )

I believe you can print directly from the gcode file with a ReplicatorG, but please check your instructions for how to print a gcode file.

Student
    What printer do you use? You can use PLA filament on almost all common desktop FDM or FFF technology 3D printers. Although, do not exceed printing temperatures above 225˚C; it only requires heat bed set of ±55-60˚C.

Technician
    I have a FlashForge 3D Printer, I know it can print PVA, but I only want the PVA to be used in Support Printing so I can wash it off afterwards