Close

When will 3D Printing Finally take off?

I know it has gradually been becoming more and more popular, and I notice there are more news articles and stuff posted around the net lately. However, when do you think it will be when the general popular becomes aware of 3D printing to the point where a good majority decides to purchase a printer for their homes?

Student
    When there's a CAD software that's easier to learn and use then your average word processor application ;-)

I think this is the biggest obstacle, even with 3D archives and scanning techniques. But under $200 this technology will be in more households - still, just for nerds and other technical interested people.

When a 200$ printer get's as easy and reliable as the UP or other good printers, then it may get more attention.
    Right now the 300-500$ price range printer require a lot of tinkering.

I agree with Marcus. I think the software needs to be easy enough that a grandmom can jump right into it. This along with printers of decent quality and ease being under the $400 price range and filaments being cheap as well. I think by 2015-2016 many people will be surprised as just how fast things have taken off in the 3D Printing world. Gartner just released a report predicting growth of close to 2000% within the next 3-4 years which is simply staggering to imagine. If the market grows by 20 times by 2016, where will it be by 2020?

When you can reliably print an Iphone or a tasty ham sandwich, because you are going to have to work at the molecular level to produce even a tiny fraction of what you have in you home today. A single plastic part printed is only inexpensive if you need just one. Disposable plastic silverware is WAY cheaper than you printing knives forks and spoons. I want a 3D printer, to prototype my ideas, to build small models of the large equipment I sell in my job. Those aren't household items and never will be.

The good news is that the 3D printer will help lots of little inventors design really cool and needed stuff, and help them get funding to put it in production. It will revolutionize prosthetics for injured people. I saw the Dexter robot at a trade show recently. One of the first things I thought of was "Wow they need to sell a 3D printer with every one!" Because robots are only useful when you have the right end effectors for them to work with. A 3D printer is great for that.