Close

Student

Question Electronics problem: Thermocouple reading on RAMPS 1.4

Hi there RepRappers
    it looks like I've bought an MK8 extruder for my 3D printer but I found that the temperature sensor is a thermocouple and not a thermistor !!
    my electronics are:
    Arduino Mega 2560
    RAMPS 1.4
    I figured out that RAMPS 1.4 doesn't read thermocouple !!
    does this problem have a solution ??
    NOTE: I use sprinter and repetier firmwares.
    SAM_0134.jpg

Engineer
    sure get a thermistor and either mount it in the block if there is a hole for it. if not and even a more accurate way is to take 1/4" kapton and tape it to the side of the nozzle. wrap the kapton tight. i use marlin and it has a PID auto tune feature. if your firmware has that then run it.

Student
    that's not what I meant, I meant that RAMPS 1.4 doesn't read from a thermocouple !! ... but I searched for it and found that it needs an extra module "thermocouple amplifier".
    the most famous are AD595 op-amp circuit and MAX xxx something !!
    I will build my own amplifier and connect it between my thermocouple and RAMPS 1.4
    I found solutions there:
    solution
    reference RepRap Wiki

You're both right.

If you want to use the thermocouple, you'll need the amplifier to bring the signal up to a stable and readable level.
    If you don't want to deal with the extra circuitry, though, you can certainly leave the thermocouple disconnected and install a thermistor, for standard operation.

Personally, I don't have the experience with 3D printers to make a call on this, but from an electronics standpoint, the fewer circuits and signal modifiers you have, then easier it is to setup and troubleshoot.

I don't recognize your printhead, so I'm not familiar with the layout. Would it be possible to remove the thermocouple and install a thermistor in its place?