Close

Best 3d printer under $1000

Ive decided to splurge on a 3d printer, but i have no idea which ones are the best, there seems to be so many.

My budget is $1000 dollars
    What im looking for in a printer:
    -heated bed
    -future upgradability
    -large print space
    -print height
    I don't care about ease of use, as im very technically adept

So what printer would be best for my needs?

Engineer-in-Training
    I think a lot of people here might recommend the MakerFarm Průša i3v 10....its a great printer with a 10x10x10 inch build volume for $600. I would also recommend the SeeMeCNC Rostock Max which prints 11x14 for $999

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I would recommend a Delta machine, you can start with one build and eventually make it taller with ease, so for example a Kossel mini is only $500 or so in a DIY kit and easy to build. While it does not have a huge radius for printing, the height for a small machine is great at 23cm odd print height.

Later on, by simply changing a few lines in the code, adding longer belts and longer vertical beams you could make it twice as high, and with some more metal extrusions make it even wider, all using a simple calculator in an excel sheet. I only suggest Kossel because if its your first machine, they for me were alot easier to build and set up than the prusa, others may disagree, but I found calibrating the kossel was half as hard and the actual build process more intuitive.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

what are your thoughts on the robo3d r1? i know it seems pretty beginner-ish, but its a really good price for what you get
    Id prefer to have a larger build radius
    Last edited by cheesyhoney; 10-21-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    Yeah, that is a really good machine for the price. Massive build volume too.

@Cheesy, the Robo3D I have hear very varied stories on. Some love it, and some have had much trouble from it. Barnacules on youtube got one and he goes through alot of the issues he had
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technologist
    I have the Rostock Max V2 (delta). It definitely has some pros, but it's also quite a bit frustrating at the same time.
    Bed leveling / calibration can be pretty aggravating. I believe due to the circular bed. I've had some fantastic prints from this machine, but I've also not been able to stop tinkering to get it printing properly.

For the Pros, I'd say it's a really quite machine (by upgrading with dampers). It's capable of very clean prints, and it has a useful build volume, capable of very tall prints. It's fairly easy build, and has upgrade potential. It's also very affordable, if you keep it stock.

The Cons: The calibration / bed leveling. If you don't have it calibrated perfectly that build volume won't make a difference, since you won't be able to print outside a very small diameter. And prepare to calibrate often. Some will argue this, but it's been my experience, and have read the same from others. I've spent more time printing parts for my printer than the things I've actually intended to print. Forget dual hotends unless you like problem solving for hours and hours and hours. People do have success, but it's a mess. It can be tricky to get the cheapskates to roll smoothly without catching or skipping, while having adequate grip. The arms are a little stiff at times.

I think I'd myself move to a Cartesian (non-kit, or at least metal) printer at this point, if I could afford it. As a first time printer, it's not bad. It's taught me quite a bit, but I've become too aggravated with trying to get quality prints from this thing. There's always something.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    I have 408 hours on my Delta Orion and do alot of production printing. I calibrate every 2 weeks or so. Its been good to me so far.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    I have 408 hours on my Delta Orion and do alot of production printing. I calibrate every 2 weeks or so. Its been good to me so far.
    You're likely to have less issues with leveling and calibration with the Orion, being that it has a 6" diameter plate, versus the 12" diameter of the RMAX.

I want to revive this thread and see what people think of the Wanhao 5S Mini versus the Rostock Max 2. I have a UP! Mini and while it's a decent enough printer from what I have been doing, I need to upgrade. What I am looking for is better than 100 micron on the z level and a nice enough size build plate. Currently I'm stuck with 5 x 5 x 5.

While we are at it if anyone might reply,we could throw in a Zortrax and a zbot, or any other ideas into the mix. I have been eyeballing the Rostock, but all the build plate talk has me scared to jump in. But now the Wanhao has my attention. Thanks for any help I might can get on this!