Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
    Cool stuff Geoff!! Love it! I really love this mask and was also intrigued by the three 'scratches' on it. Did you paint it on or did you use a soldering iron to create those three scratches?

Are there any tutorials or tips you'd recommend on finishing/painting your prints? Or did you figure everything out by yourself over time?

But really, they're all lovely, keep us updated when you print something new!
    Thanks mate, yep you guessed it, soldering iron for the scratch marks. I am currently filming some video tutorials, as most of the painting I do is just a progression of painting lots of models as a kid, and 3D printed things are no different really, just require a bit more finishing. Prime undercoat, dry brush over the top with some gloss enamel to finish it off, nothing special really, just a few decades of practice But I think I can simmer it down into 1 or 2 youtibe vids'. I just want to help people make their prints not look so drab, and with even 30 mins to an hour its easily possible for someone who's never even painted a model before. Alot of my painting is not down to skill, it's just technique, and it's a repeatable technique that you can apply to pretty much all model painting.

I still don't find I can get the detail I am after with regular 3D prints, thats why I want to get into SLA printing more because they are more akin to a resin or vinyl model kit which is what I am used to painting more.

I am currently working on 2 really big ones, one is a full size Robocop helmet and the other a life size poseable facehugger.. and boy is that gonna be popular.. all fully articulated with posable fingers etc...

Put it this way, when I say I do alot of printing..

this is just my surplus batch... because all my air tight containers are full of the new rolls (+ 3 machines loaded.. )

Amazingly my wife hasn't cut any of my gonads off yet.. She told me no more than one printer, I am nearly at 4 now and its taken over an office hahaha

photo (14).jpg
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technologist
    Hi Geoff. I see you own maybe several flashforge. My question to you and maybe others in the forum. Am thinking of buying a 3d printer my first. And am decided between the flashforge creator pro, dreamer or makerfarm i3v 12 inch. I don't mine the assembly but one reason I picked the 12 is because of the bed size. Do you think I'll use the whole bed size. Or I'll be comfortable with a flashforge bed size. And what you think would be a better 3d printer the creator pro or the dreamer. Flashforge USA has a special I think for 950 for Blackfriday.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Thanks mate, yep you guessed it, soldering iron for the scratch marks. I am currently filming some video tutorials, as most of the painting I do is just a progression of painting lots of models as a kid, and 3D printed things are no different really, just require a bit more finishing. Prime undercoat, dry brush over the top with some gloss enamel to finish it off, nothing special really, just a few decades of practice But I think I can simmer it down into 1 or 2 youtibe vids'. I just want to help people make their prints not look so drab, and with even 30 mins to an hour its easily possible for someone who's never even painted a model before. Alot of my painting is not down to skill, it's just technique, and it's a repeatable technique that you can apply to pretty much all model painting.

I still don't find I can get the detail I am after with regular 3D prints, thats why I want to get into SLA printing more because they are more akin to a resin or vinyl model kit which is what I am used to painting more.

I am currently working on 2 really big ones, one is a full size Robocop helmet and the other a life size poseable facehugger.. and boy is that gonna be popular.. all fully articulated with posable fingers etc...

this is just my surplus batch... because all my air tight containers are full of the new rolls (+ 3 machines loaded.. )

Amazingly my wife hasn't cut any of my gonads off yet.. She told me no more than one printer, I am nearly at 4 now and its taken over an office hahaha

photo (14).jpg

Thanks mate, yep you guessed it, soldering iron for the scratch marks. I am currently filming some video tutorials, as most of the painting I do is just a progression of painting lots of models as a kid, and 3D printed things are no different really, just require a bit more finishing. Prime undercoat, dry brush over the top with some gloss enamel to finish it off, nothing special really, just a few decades of practice But I think I can simmer it down into 1 or 2 youtibe vids'.
    Geoff, do you have a YouTube channel set up with your 3D printing stuff? If so, would you send the link?

20141123_000009.jpg20141122_164342.jpg20141121_212852.jpg

Some of my latest prints, fairly happy with em. The large gears are all printed with some PLA I found on Aliexpress for 32$ incl shipping for 1KG. Works perfectly

Technologist
    Hi Geoff. Am looking foward to your custom 3d prints painting video. Also do you use airbrush. Also please make it quick. I love how your 3d prints comes out with the paint job.Thanks.

photo (14).jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I printed out a favourite for the tutorial video, the "Zombie Hunter" by Sculptor,

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69709

I wanted to paint something I have not painted before for the tutorial and also something with alot of detail that will come out well, and so far looking good. I should be done tonight and then just need to quickly edit the video, so will be available to view very soon.

I am filming the painting session with Candylabs which is a good free time-delay video program, I am setting it at 1 frame per second so it will be fast but not so fast you can't see what I'm doing.

I do have a youtube channel, but there is not alot of 3D printing content on there mainly because it's more dedicated to the mods and 3D modelling I do, but feel free to check out my 40+ useless videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/GeoffroAU

I printed the ultimaker 14 piece lightsabe, took almost 48 hours to print all the parts in ABS at 0.1mm

1419836319401-1439445812.jpg

I have had my creator pro for about 3 weeks now, and i love it, previously i owned printrbots and some self built printers.

I have also printed a complete printer in ABS, which im still working on.

1419836752460-1655172097.jpg

Technologist
    Am subscribed to it. Waiting on those videos. Thank You!!!

I printed out a favourite for the tutorial video, the "Zombie Hunter" by Sculptor,

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:69709

I wanted to paint something I have not painted before for the tutorial and also something with alot of detail that will come out well, and so far looking good. I should be done tonight and then just need to quickly edit the video, so will be available to view very soon.

I am filming the painting session with Candylabs which is a good free time-delay video program, I am setting it at 1 frame per second so it will be fast but not so fast you can't see what I'm doing.

I do have a youtube channel, but there is not alot of 3D printing content on there mainly because it's more dedicated to the mods and 3D modelling I do, but feel free to check out my 40+ useless videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/GeoffroAU

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    To save reposting, check out this thread:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...-Robot-Project

I printed a half size inmoov robotic hand on my flashforge (ABS, so the kossel couldn't help me on this one...) probably the most complicated thing I've made so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12