Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Omerod 3D Print Kit By Reprap Launches

Today seems to be a rather exciting one for new printers being announced. It also happens to be the eve of GE's 3D Printing Day. The latest printer, is actually a 3D printer kit byReprap. It's Called the Omerod.

Here are the Specs for the Omerod Kit:

Full open-source self-replicating RepRap
    New 32-bit Arduino-compatible Duet electronics enable control via a web-browser
    Wiring loom for simple plug-in connection – no soldering
    IR probing for self-aligned printing – no bed adjustment required
    Printing materials: ABS, PLA, 1.75mm diameter thermoplastic.
    Build surface: PCB-heated bed to reduce complexity of assembly and to ensure parts do not warp.
    Computer interface: USB
    Build volume: 210x190x140mm
    Overall size: 500x460x410mm
    X-carriage: Three Z-adjustable deposition head mounts; one head supplied.
    Standard nozzle size: 0.5mm
    Accuracy: 0.1mm
    Pre-soldered electronics with built-in microSD card slot for standalone printing.
    Enhancements to the printed parts to improve the ease of assembly of the X and Y axes
    Resolution: 0.0125mm
    Building speed: 1,800 mm/min
    Moving speed: 12,000 mm/min
    Deposition rate: 33 cm3 / hr
    Motion: Linear ball bearings on X and Y axes, Igus low friction bushings on Z axis.

Ormerod ;-) (yes I spelt it wrong to start with too)

Building this at the moment and trying to get an hour a day on it. My first outing with 3D printing so lots of fun. I'm posting my progress on twitter @tilmun and will share my good or bad experiences.

Cheers,
    Simon.

Banned
    Nice to find someone building this one! Simon if you don't mind maybe you could post some picture of the completed Ormerod and let us know your feedback here. I will follow you on twitter, but it would be nice if you were to post an update here too. I sort of make this site my home as of late!

Tilmun, when do you expect to have this complete? I'd love to see a photo of it once you finish.

Student
    Hi all, I purchased one of the first kits from RS Components (red 3D parts) and have been building and then testing it as and when I can (which hasn't been as often as I wanted due to the time of year!), but it is mechanically complete.
    Assembly for me with the early (sparse) instructions was slower than expected and took about 15 hours (spread over 3 days), but new purchasers will be able to do this much quicker with the very detailed and clear instructions and photos, but don't rush, enjoy it and learn from the design techniques used.

Software wise this is a 'live' development. The network connection is not currently usable, by many (me included), but that has not been a limiting step (except in trying to get it working!) as the software Pronterface does all that is required. The special configuration of Pronterface along with the current firmware work well as is evident by some of the other users 3D prints. I'm just about to start this stage having completed a few test prints.

Users are suggesting and implementing improvements to various parts, but any that were shown to be a problem in this initial Ormerod batch are being updated for future orders, so it should all work out of the box.

3D printing is new for me and my experiences are that you need to become familiar with your printer and software to get the most out of it. Don't be put off by any initial teething problems, look at what happened, try to change your method, share your issues, learn and print!

In summary, I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing this kit, I see it as fantastic value for money, RepRapPro have been excellent in supporting us early adopters and I can't praise them enough. I shall now be using this with DesignSpark Mechanical the free software that supports 3D printing and really excited to start using this system.

I bought this kit from RS at the beginning of January, I spent 4 days putting it together and then discovered the following issues:
    The drivers are not compatible with windows 8.1
    The Micro SD card that they provide with the kit was broken (apparently a known issue)
    The optical sensor value changes depending on the lighting conditions so I could not get the bed to level as the end stops would not work
    The Microcontroller duet board did not come loaded with a firmware that would work, You need to read up how to flash this.
    Needless to say the kit is on its way back to RS as it was not as described on the Website.
    I have ordered a flashforge creater dual which is due to arrive today

Student
    Just out of interest how come you chose that model and not the Ultimaker which is a well known model?

Quote Originally Posted by colin85 View Post
    I have ordered a flashforge creater dual which is due to arrive today

after research I thought it was the best value for money. it has dual extrusion and is compatable with the makerware from makerbot. I've also been told the driver works in windows 8.1 which was one of my issues with the reprap.

Engineer
    so far from what i have heard is the ff has a pretty good rep. the people i have talked to that own them seem to have nothing but good to say. our member geoff here is running one. he might be able to answer any ff specific questions.

once this printer is put together, you are able to print the printable parts of this to replicate? are the non printable parts available on their website or sold out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast