Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solidoodle 3 for $699 or Solidoodle 4 for $999?

What would you suggest. I'm looking to purchase a Solidoodle for my Uncle who is really into 3D design. He hasn't used a 3D Printer before but his is a tech genius. Should I spend $699 for the Solidoodle 3 or should I go with the Solidoodle 4 for $300 more?

What would you guys do?

I'm always one for the latest and greatest technology. I'd go the extra $300 and grab the 4th generation printer. In the long run it will be worth it in my opinion.
    Jeremia

It's only my opinion but there isn't enough change on the SD4 for the 300 $ more price.
    The SD3 can be upgraded for less than 300 $.
    For example, buy a DS3 and also a E3D head, print the MK5 Lawsy and you will have something better than the SD 4. You can also change some original parts with cutom printed parts (the ones with linear bearings for example) it will cost only a few dollars and will give better precision for the head.
    I think you'll better keep your money to upgrade a SD3 than buying a SD 4.

I'll say that Mcbride19 is right... the SD4 is just a SD3 with a box around it.. nothing else. It still uses the horrid jig-saw extruder. so my advice would be to print either the MK4 or MK5 extruder from lawsy and to take a look at the thread i made about upgrades for SD2/3.
    and just think of how much 300$ extra really is, you could buy him a bunch of filament for 300$

Nice gift btw

As Mysli say the SD4 is only a SD3 with a box and a new support system for the filamentt but inside no new technology or new system, I think it's a little bit expensive, for this price you can have a Rostock Max wich is far better(but it's a kit).
    Save your money to buy Filament and , maybe a real good hotend.

I was pretty disappointed by the SD4. Why call it the SD4 with such little change. It should be the SD3s or something like that. I hope they come out with something a bit more exciting this year!

Student
    Mcbride so you have a Rostock Max?

Yes I also have a rostock max, it's a real different printer from the solidoodle.

Student
    The layer resolution is the same as the solidoodle 2 and 3. I would get the cheaper one. Really good printers but you have to be prepared to fix issues and regularly maintain it. Also the acrylic extruder design is bad. I have replaced it with a 3Dprinted version from thingiverse. Much better design!!

Student
    delta printers are sweet looking. i can see how reagular xyz machines work but those deltas move so crazy! i cant fathom how they work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast