Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

iBox Nano $189 SLA Printer

Ok, before you blow this one off as another company over their heads, check out the article we just did here: http://3dprint.com/19667/ibox-nano-cheap-3d-printer/

The iBox Nano is the world's smaller, quietest, most affordable SLA 3D printer by a long shot. Below are some of the key specs of this incredible machine:
    • Build Area: 40 x 20 x 90mm
    • Resolution X-Y: 328 Microns
    • Power Consumption During Print: 2.7 Watts
    • Maximum Z Precision: 0.39 Microns
    • Print Volume: 29 db

Are you backing the iBox Nano? Let's hear your thoughts! Below is an image of this tiny SLA 3D printer:

I asked them, and yes, the .39 micron z resolution is real.
    if only it had a larger build plate *sigh*.

I mean, 1.5 by .8 inches?
    come on.

Engineer-in-Training
    Cheapest? Have you heard of Peachy Printer? It's still in beta, but it's cheaper.

Granted, I don't think either of these are better than curiosities. If you want something for fun, these are fine. They're on the small side for build, and the parts will be a bit weak. They might help you make a nifty looking chess set.

Engineer
    The turn off is the XY resolution.
    Do they mean the minimum size feature instead?

Technician
    Does someone have a link or an explanation as to how this printer works from a technical perspective? It seems they are using a mini LCD of some sort....

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    The turn off is the XY resolution.
    Do they mean the minimum size feature instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    Does someone have a link or an explanation as to how this printer works from a technical perspective? It seems they are using a mini LCD of some sort....
    Yeah, looks like they use a LCD instead of laser/projector. That is also why the resolution is so low (around 300 micron in x/y direction) - which is a real pitty! If the x/y resolution were something along the lines of 50 then this would be a beautiful product in my opinion.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    Cheapest? Have you heard of Peachy Printer? It's still in beta, but it's cheaper.
    I'm a huge fan of the Peachy, but realistically, the $99 Peachy package is just the laser, galvo, control and height sensor, you have to build the enclosure and provide the drip reservoir and build tank. They just recently opened their pre-orders to the public, with a "fully built printer" option that is $400 (if it's also pre-calibrated then that would very possibly pay for itself in headache-reliever savings).

The price actually seems reasonable for this one, the entire body uses exactly one manufacturing process and the electronics inside appear to all be off-the-shelf, so it's extremely believable that they'll make a decent margin from a $299 price tag.
    That said, I'm going to say don't expect this nano printer until April 2015 at the earliest, I've not seen a manufacturing partner yet, and from the look of it they are expecting to hand-make them in-house, which I think they'll find is much more work than they expected. The only reason I don't push this out to September is that the fabricated pieces are all laser cut, likely in-house already, meaning no large factory line is needed... Though that also means this will be trickling out their doors in hand-made quantities, not pouring out to consumers in waves the way a mass-produced product would be.

The more I think about it though, the more I like this little guy. It seems like it's perfect for doing one thing: making 28mm wargaming miniatures... And anyone who has played Warhammer 40K can confirm, $280 for miniatures is fire-sale cheap.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    found this recently - might be ideal for the physics guy who wanted to print very small details on surfaces.

But probably too small a volume for anyone else who doesn't play warhammer :-)

While in the 3D printing space many new products and machines are launched through reward-based platforms like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, equity crowdfunding platforms are increasingly being used to back companies themselves with seed capital. Last year, iBox Printers found major success on Kickstarter to bring the iBox Nano 3D printer to market, raising more than $450K--and now the company is looking to back itself, just about a year later, seeking to raise $2 million at a $12 million valuation on Fundable. Find out more about iBox, their Nano, and their Fundable campaign at 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/90419/ibox-fundable-invest/

Below is a photo of the iBox Nano:

Technician
    A $12 million valuation on 3000 units sold??? And God knows what their actual profit on those units is, maybe $100k in the past year if that. By the time the employees get paid I can't imagine this company is making any money at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast