Close

Two threads in 1 whining & historyu

I should do this in two threads, but they are very closely related, in my eyes. First might be looked at as whining, or it could be an explanation of my view on things, your take.

I guess I should be thanking DrLuigi, I sent him a series of "private messages" which appear to have been forwarded to other people, then forwarded to other people, and so on, and so on.... This caused a HUGE spike in visits to my site, which has caused a HUGE spike in sales. That might be reason for me to thank DrLuigi, except that I really would be quite happy not selly ANY hot ends. My passion is research, I have no desire to fill my pockets.

In response to KDog accusations, I am alloud to sign with a link to my site, if you were to check ALL of my posts, you would find that ONLY once have I done so. WHY ? Because selling is not what I am about. KDog, I am NOT trying to sell you a hot end ! I have plenty to do with out whiners like you buying my hot ends. Since when a person buys one of our hot ends we give a FOREVER warranty, and 100% support, meaning they get support for 100% of their printer, not just the hot end, We do not need people like you wasting our time.

A history lesson ; Some of you are too young, a lot of you got into 3D printing later, I was a first adopter. I KNOW what has been happening.
    Only a few years ago you could spend thousands of dollars on an industrial printer, buy a Makerbot, or build a RepRap. The RepRap choices were Huxley, Mendal, and Prusa, anybody remember Huxley ? There were some REALLY shady companies, it was best to try to build your own. That was problematic for a lot of people, many of us just were not up to the task of building our own electronics, most could not access machines to make a hot end. Pretty tough going. Still we put some together. We would barter for electronics, we would barter for machined parts (that was where I came in), one way or another we would build a bot. Most of the guys I knew then have become so disgusted with the way things have gone, they have sold, given away, or thrown away their printer stuff. I have gotten so disappointed in people to almost stop producing ANY hot ends.

Early we wrapped a piece of nichrome wire around a brass tube, put a drilled acorn nut on the end, coated it in furnace cement, then baked it. Pretty crude. That's how desperate we were to make these things work. How many of you would consider doing that today ? How many could do that today ?

Then the J-head appeared, this was THE thing to have ! www.hotends.com you can't get an address like that today. It was simple, you could make one if you had machines. You could repair this thing endlessly ! Who could ask for more ?

Then people started turning up the temperature, hoping to print faster. People, DO NOT turn the temperature up higher than the recommended temp for the plastic you are printing. It will not print any faster, it only causes problems ! It does not matter which hot end you have over temping will cause you problems ! On the J-head, it caused a melt down, on the E3d, it causes jamming, and stripping. What ? do you think you are the first person to ever think of this ? It doesn't work, DON"T DO IT !

About 6 moths after the J-head, I came out with the Star hot end (SG1). In less than 6 weeks it had been superseded by the SG2. I never posted the technical drawings on RepRap wiki, I was going to wait until they got more organized. The got more organized alright, they became a private club, a "good ole boys" net work. There is no way I will be any part of RepRap.org any more. There is only one person on there team that has said anything worth anything. I know I will take grief for that comment, bring it on !

Now we get to the E3D. Put the tech drawings of the J-head, and the E3d nbext tyo each other, do not look at materials, and any engineer out there is going to think the E3d is just a different version of the J-head. There you go KDog, are you an engineer, or are you barking up the wrong tree ?

Now people, go ahead and ridicule me, berate me, but you don't need to buy anything of mine. I'm not trying to sell you. I don't even sign with a link, even though I am aloud to.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-27-2013 at 01:18 PM.

I want to sincerely apologize to DrLuigi for accusing him of sharing the "private messages" I sent him. This did not happen, and I am sorry for accusing him of doing so. I did not think that many people would go out of their way to track down my self promotion and follow the link. Thank you for understanding, and I hope DrLuigi accepts my apology.

First of all i would like to see the website and look this through, because I looking at different 3d printer website. This offcourse because they all are different and you can find different and better things at every website.

second printing at a higher temperature doesn't always cause problems and it does make printing faster, but also creates allot more oozing.
    I mostly use the e3d v5 hotend atm and turning up the heat of your nozzle also cause less resistance to push through the hot end. offcourse there is a limit and it wil not make your print better or more usefull. But this testing and not always following the book made me find the max capabilities of my print.

this is not to make you look bad or telling you that you're wrong this was just my experience allong the way.

First I would like to thank you for disagreeing with me, and responding to this thread. Since early Greek times a forum has been about disagreement/discussions, and therefore any disagreement brings more discussion.

My thoughts are that once the plastic has reached a liqudus temperature that is the lowest viscosity it is going to get, until it turns gaseous. Heating it higher than normal extrusion temperature will cause more toxic gasses to be released, which over time will become a health problem. Plus the heat travel up the filament, causing the filament to strip on the hobbed bolt, that is unless you are using a Bowden system, which has it's own set of problems.

Since most of the people interested in 3D printing are in fact very young people, in 20 years there could be a very serious health problem occur from over temping the filament, with little to no increase in print speed. Is it worth it ? Not in my opinion. Then it is just an opinion, and this is a forum, and you are entitled to YOUR opinion !
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirschner3D View Post
    First of all i would like to see the website and look this through, because I looking at different 3d printer website. This offcourse because they all are different and you can find different and better things at every website.

second printing at a higher temperature doesn't always cause problems and it does make printing faster, but also creates allot more oozing.
    I mostly use the e3d v5 hotend atm and turning up the heat of your nozzle also cause less resistance to push through the hot end. offcourse there is a limit and it wil not make your print better or more usefull. But this testing and not always following the book made me find the max capabilities of my print.

this is not to make you look bad or telling you that you're wrong this was just my experience allong the way.

Got a link to your store?

You have to work to find it, you need to look in self promotion, where those kind of things go.

To Kirschner3D

After some thought I realized I was not clear on my statement. There is an extrusion temperature range for filament, and usually filament extrudes easier at the higher end of the range. This can only be discovered through experimentation on your particular printer. Additionally, each thermistor varies, take a thermistor from my printer, and from your printer, both 100k, same brand, and they will have some variation in readings. Filament from different suppliers is going to vary to a certain amount also.

Therefore each printer should find the temperature that the particular filament they are using extrudes at. This does not mean extreme over temping, I stick to my original statement overall. The method that DrLuigi uses is best, increase the temperature by 5 degrees at a time until you find what works best. You should also keep notes.

In general, if you over temp by very much, the filament degrades, the heat travels up the filament, and after a few layers you have stripping, or what some think is clogging. It is not clogging, but the filament jamming in the feed tube. On top of the stripping, you release additional fumes, and we don't want that.