Close

Hi, New to 3D printing

HI

I am looking into getting a 3D printer soon thinking n this (MAKERBOT REPLICATOR™ 2) could this be printed in 3D? Yes I love space ship models Star terk, Eve online.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by lou01jjd View Post
    HI

I am looking into getting a 3D printer soon thinking n this (MAKERBOT REPLICATOR™ 2) could this be printed in 3D? Yes I love space ship models Star terk, Eve online.
    You want to print that on a Rep2? It could work... You would probably have to cut it into pieces for it to print at a respectable size with good quality...
    No matter what, if you want a large version of this with good quality it's going to take a long time just for printing.

Also, it seems like you just have that picture. Do you actually have a model of this that you want to use?

HI

Well I do have the .skp I think can be made to the printer format. That printer should be able to print about 10" L I believe, that is perfect side for what I want to do.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lou01jjd View Post
    HI

It can do it, but it might need to be cut into a few pieces and then glued together afterward, but that detail isnt impossible.
    If you are doing sci fi stuff, its the lines you dont want to see, so just find a machine that can print at 0.1mm, with a small acetone wash or light sanding the lines are invisible.

Thank you for the info i will be doing a lot research on 3D printing it looks like a lot fun.

Definitely need to cut it down into pieces if you want all those intricate details. This will turn out awesome IMO. Once you print it, you will have to show it off to us!
    Jeremia

Engineer
    The Replicator 2 is an awesome printer for the price in my opinion. Yes you should be able to print this but like the others have said, break it down to a few pieces, then glue it together. Should turn out nicely. Please post a pic here. I assume that you have done it by now!!

Hi

I will send pic as soon as I get it, but want to let everyone know that had a financial set back so it will be a few months before I get the 3-D printer now. It sucks the Boss (wife) even gave the ok for it to.