Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wood is making a creaking sound

I received my FlashForge Creator Friday 10/10/14. I have been printing almost nonstop since I got it. Saturday, its second day out the out the box, it started making a creaking noise and the back wall has started to flex up.

Is this normal for these? It hasn't affected my print quality but it is annoying to listen to.

Steven
    Attached Images Attached Images

normal, but very annoying for sure

Senior Engineer
    Every single bolt on my Wanhao was loose when I got it, at least half a turn on every screw. Since I tightened it all it does not creak.

DON'T PULL THE NUTS THROUGH THE WOOD.

Technician
    Given our proximity to Halloween, I would suggest, in the presence of creaking wood, not to go in any closets, and don't hang out with that geeky guy with the sweater tied around his neck. He's a goner for sure, and you don't want to tempt fate.

Unless you are that geeky guy with the sweater tied around his neck... In which case, good luck!

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Every single bolt on my Wanhao was loose when I got it, at least half a turn on every screw. Since I tightened it all it does not creak.

DON'T PULL THE NUTS THROUGH THE WOOD.
    Snugged up the bolts and the creaking stopped or is at least very minimal. Some of the screws were very loose. None of them were "firm."

Thank You!!!

Engineer
    Get some nylon locknuts, you'll just love to have never to deal with loose bolt!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 616Engineering View Post
    Snugged up the bolts and the creaking stopped or is at least very minimal. Some of the screws were very loose. None of them were "firm."

Thank You!!!
    The best way to make the machine quiet is to put a block of foam between the floor of the machine and the fan that is blowing on the motherboard inside. That fan is where 99 percent of the crappy noise and vibration comes from. They put it too close and the top of the fan housing is resting on the roof, which on the flipside is the base of your print bed, or inner build space.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hell between the motherboard fan, the psu fan, the extruder fan and the cooling duct fan - I don;'t think a bit of foam would help me much :-)

And yep, regular tightening of the nuts is a good idea.

Actually it just occured to me you could tighten the nuts and then drop a wee drop of superglue on each one.
    Would probably fix the nut loosening issue for good while still letting you undo them if necessary.

One more thing simnplify 3d doesn't cause my printer to vibrate so much on infill. that hexagonal infill of makerware is murder on the machine.

Senior Engineer
    If you superglue the nuts then when the wood shrinks or the nuts pull through the wood a bit you will not be able to tighten them easily.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the point is you tighten them before glueing.
    And you can break the seal quite easily.

Why would the wood shrink to any significant degree ? It's plywood - so no coherent grain as such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast