Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

This pla stuff is Brilliant !

Damn why didn't I try this stuff sooner.

No rafts, sticks like glue to blue tape. Much much cleaner, sharper prints. I love this stuff !
    Just printed out one of my bog roll spool holder ends.
    With the abs I have to manually clean all the holes witgh a craft knife. Pla - clean, sharp round holes - amazing.

Mind you it probably helped getting the printer properly sorted first.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Damn why didn't I try this stuff sooner.

No rafts, sticks like glue to blue tape. Much much cleaner, sharper prints. I love this stuff !
    Just printed out one of my bog roll spool holder ends.
    With the abs I have to manually clean all the holes witgh a craft knife. Pla - clean, sharp round holes - amazing.

Mind you it probably helped getting the printer properly sorted first.
    Ditto..

I used ABS strictly nearly for a whole year before I got into PLA, and while it presents its own issues, all the fears I had about it have sort of vanished, other than the durability.

Boil up some water, put a PLA printed part in and an ABS part in for 20 seconds, then pull them out... the PLA becomes squishy like goo, the ABS unaffected. This can have advantages - like flattening a piece that lifted off the build plate. Dunk it in super hot water, flatten it and let it cool, problem fixed.

so no coffee cups then :-)

That said there are awhone new geenration of super pla filaments just coming on to the market. I've got a few to try.
    And then there's pet - supposed to be the best of all worlds. Got samples of that too.

Now if my real life would just bugger off for a few weeks while I play with the printer, that would be great :-)
    But not going to happen lol

Engineer
    There are new high strength pla filaments coming out but none of them get around the temp thing. It doesnt have to be boiling water. Just sitting in the sun will warp a part. This is the only reason i dont use the stuff. Other than that its great to print with. Petg is awesome. The layer bonding is like no other filament. The glass point is close to abs as well. Super strong stuff. There are alot of manufacturers coming out with the stuff. i cant stand chinese filament but sampled some of the petg from esun, it was awesome. Just like colorfabbs stuff. Its just not available yet, but soon i hope.

yeah - the range and variety of filament is amazing.

At the moment pla works and is a good price.
    Pet's a bit pricey at the moment. But it'll come down.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Here is that same yellow PLA you got...

I print 2-3 Kossel builds per day on my machines and this yellow stuff.. OMG so good to work with... it's nearly the most hassle free filament I've had...

I do the base feet at %50 infill and 3 shells, so they take about 4 hours... but its 4 hours of pure stickiness! Look at that raftless stick..

Yes, thats blue tape OVER kapton...

photo 1 (4).jpg
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    There are new high strength pla filaments coming out but none of them get around the temp thing. It doesnt have to be boiling water. Just sitting in the sun will warp a part. This is the only reason i dont use the stuff. Other than that its great to print with. Petg is awesome. The layer bonding is like no other filament. The glass point is close to abs as well. Super strong stuff. There are alot of manufacturers coming out with the stuff. i cant stand chinese filament but sampled some of the petg from esun, it was awesome. Just like colorfabbs stuff. Its just not available yet, but soon i hope.
    Can PETG compare to the ease of use like PLA?

it's supposed to.
    I've got some samples to try - just very little time at the moment.

The yellow pla I'm using is reprap professional brand. I'm getting it from 3dfilaprint. About £5 a roll more than I can get cheap chinese pla on ebay.
    But I know it works and I'm hoping the three rolls I bought this week will be as good to use as the yellow stuff. Got some really nice colour gold, a very white looking white and a really glossy black.
    Figured they'd be good combinations for dual colour prints - which is my next printing goal, when I get some time to play.
    Some black and gold business cards and chainmail bracelets should be a nice place to start. Also very flat so not that much nozzle wiping :-)

Engineer
    Yes, like any plastic you need to work up a good bunch of settings for it with your printer but once you do its as worry free as pla. To date its the strongest material i have used. I would say even more than nylon. The parts i have done with it come out more like solid polycarbonate. Warping is about the same as pla.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    it's supposed to.
    I've got some samples to try - just very little time at the moment.

The yellow pla I'm using is reprap professional brand. I'm getting it from 3dfilaprint. About £5 a roll more than I can get cheap chinese pla on ebay.
    But I know it works and I'm hoping the three rolls I bought this week will be as good to use as the yellow stuff. Got some really nice colour gold, a very white looking white and a really glossy black.
    Figured they'd be good combinations for dual colour prints - which is my next printing goal, when I get some time to play.
    Some black and gold business cards and chainmail bracelets should be a nice place to start. Also very flat so not that much nozzle wiping :-)

Wow, and the same colour PLA bought for $22AU with free postage... (in pounds, about 12 pounds for a roll) what did they charge you for it?
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast