Close

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol yeah - it's not the easiest software to use.
    The idiot option has NO variables or things you can tweak and the advanced has everything.
    There really ought to be a happy mediium option.

But that said - it does look like a piece of software that's still evolving. It has a section for add in's - much like cura.
    The only one it comes with says 'convert image to 3d'.
    I did try importign an image and then nothing happened.

I really need to get the manual on to my kindle for leisurely perusal.

Also i had three things on the bed - made an x3g and it only printed 1.
    So how do you select multiple models for simultaneous printing ?
    I@ve tried all the obvious and standard selection things and so far haven't been able to select more than one thing at a time.
    (yeah i know, read the bloody manual lol)
    Haha, yes, manuals can be useful sometimes

You can print multiple models by selecting them in the Process Settings:
    Process Settings -> Select Models (button on bottom of process settings screen)

This way you can use different processes for different parts/models.

If you have multiple processes then it will prompt the following when you want to print:

And then you can either do sequential printing with clearance height (the height it will build 1 object before switch to the next) or continious printing (most used one due to dual extruders & bars being in the way when doing sequential printing)

Good luck!

EDIT: I was using multiple parts / processes here to do some testing with different variables for optimal printing.
    EDIT2: Also; always check the print in the 'Prepared Print' windows before exporting because what you see is what you get! If you only see one part; then you'll only get one part - so go back and change your settings and Prepare your Print again!

Quote Originally Posted by indy3der View Post
    Dargonfly, thanks for the answers.

I guess Makerware is sufficient for now, but it seems every time I print something, I'm learning something new. I'll continue to build parts with my own supports, but the custom temperature profiles is a nice feature. I do like that while I'm in a "learning" stage, Makerware has limited options with the interface.
    Makerware works perfect too! The only reason I switched to Simplify3D is for the custom supports & ability to add different processes (and doing layer-based settings.. and some other stuff ... )
    If you have any questions about Makerware then we can probably help you too, else try the Makerbot subforum on this board!

Good luck to you too!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah - right, never seen those selection screens. You'd think when you've got more than one model on the bed it'd ask you if you wanted to print them all.

So I have to apply a seperate process to each model ?

You can go to the model selection screen of the Process Setting and press 'Select All' to select all models (and print all models with that single process).
    It normally adds all models to the first process for me, unless I start adding more processes; then it of course needs to know what model to print with what process.

So... no, you don't need a separate process per model - you can print select whichever models you want and add them to whichever process you want.
    It's not that difficult; you'll get used to it quick. Just make sure you always look what happens in the Preview mode - because what you see is what you get!
    (I usually scroll through the model by selecting the 'END' scroll-thingy and dragging that quickly from begin to end to get a good idea of how it will be printed.)

lol yeah - it's not the easiest software to use.
    The idiot option has NO variables or things you can tweak and the advanced has everything.
    There really ought to be a happy mediium option.

But that said - it does look like a piece of software that's still evolving. It has a section for add in's - much like cura.
    The only one it comes with says 'convert image to 3d'.
    I did try importign an image and then nothing happened.

I really need to get the manual on to my kindle for leisurely perusal.

Also i had three things on the bed - made an x3g and it only printed 1.
    So how do you select multiple models for simultaneous printing ?
    I@ve tried all the obvious and standard selection things and so far haven't been able to select more than one thing at a time.
    (yeah i know, read the bloody manual lol)
    In "advanced mode" after tweaking your preferences, you need to click "select models" bottom right corner then "select all" then ok.
    Simplify3d will only apply settings to selected models

cheers guys :-)
    I knew this thread was a good idea :-)

Engineer
    You would be amazed at how many options there are in s3d that are staring you right in the face but are skipped right over without noticing. The select models has to be the biggest one.

Okay you're going to love thisd if you haven't already tried it.

The add-in option has a thing called 'convert image to 3d'.
    And it does !

You have to save your picture - anything from a photo to a simple shape in a png or bmp file. jpg/jpeg does not currently work. But any photo program from paint on up will save in png format.
    It then converts to a 3d stl file and re-imports the file for tweaking. Play with the z xis scaling to get it the height you want and print. Currently trying a koala head (windows sample pics) at 1mm height and 0.2 layer.
    Looked good in the preview.

And this works with ANY picture.

I'll be making dog head coasters later :-)

Technician
    Follow Serena On Twitter
    Okay you're going to love thisd if you haven't already tried it.

The add-in option has a thing called 'convert image to 3d'.
    And it does !

You have to save your picture - anything from a photo to a simple shape in a png or bmp file. jpg/jpeg does not currently work. But any photo program from paint on up will save in png format.
    It then converts to a 3d stl file and re-imports the file for tweaking. Play with the z xis scaling to get it the height you want and print. Currently trying a koala head (windows sample pics) at 1mm height and 0.2 layer.
    Looked good in the preview.

And this works with ANY picture.

I'll be making dog head coasters later :-)
    seriously?! I'm so going to try that!

Engineer-in-Training
    So was it found that it could vary the infill by X-Y, if you have different models?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    So was it found that it could vary the infill by X-Y, if you have different models?
    Hi 3DPBuser, can you explain what you mean?

If you are asking if different infill patterns are possible then: yes and no.

The only infill pattern possible in Simplify3D is straight lines.. BUT you can choose at which angles these lines are placed and in which orders these angels come up.

Standard is -45 & 45 meaning you're getting a cross-pattern. But if you prefer to place these lines horizontal and vertical then that's possible to by using 0 & 180. OR you can go funky and do it 'hex' like by using 0 & 60 & -60.. so a lot of options depending on what you want, but a 'true' hex pattern like in Makerware is not available in this software.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast