Close

VRClay Oculus Rift Enabled Design Software

3D design is not easy. This is an area which needs quite a bit of improvement so that people like myself can begin modelling like a pro without having to spend hundreds of hours learning new software. VRClay is trying to do just this. They have created a software for the Oculus Rift which enables 3D model manipulation in three dimensional space. The software is still only a project, but improvements are expected and a beta version should be released to the public in a couple of weeks. More details on VRClay can be found here: http://3dprint.com/17752/vrclay-3d-model-oculus-rift

Check out the video of the software in action below. What do you think?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    it looks very cumbersome and frustrating to say the least!

I think it might depend on who you are. That looks very very powerful to me. And surprisingly intuitive how he was able to build those ant like creatures so quickly.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I think it might depend on who you are. That looks very very powerful to me. And surprisingly intuitive how he was able to build those ant like creatures so quickly.
    Developer would have had the practice from the get go, designing the actual control interface, so one would imagine he is top dog at using it, but even still I could make a spider like that in a standard environment in 1/4 of the time. Zbrush works with a very similar sphere extrusion method.

Don't get me wrong, who wouldn't freakin love to work with a virtual clay ball.. but Im already doing that now with my leapmotion device, just missing the VR :/ i wonder if you could knock a cheap version up with a leapmotion and a phone/goggle holder... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Don't get me wrong, who wouldn't freakin love to work with a virtual clay ball.. but Im already doing that now with my leapmotion device, just missing the VR :/ i wonder if you could knock a cheap version up with a leapmotion and a phone/goggle holder... hmmm
    Can you explain with more detail? It might make a good group project here???

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Can you explain with more detail? It might make a good group project here???
    I'll do one better, I'll make a fraps video of me using the leapmotion to sculpt something it's not as accurate as i'd like but for a virtual modelling tool it's pretty fun.

The VR goggles are getting to the point where people can almost DIY their own, sure not as good as a rift but give it time, some 12 year old will put a youtube tutorial on how to make one out of an old TV lol
    Last edited by Geoff; 10-04-2014 at 01:20 AM.