Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Round Text Edges

As the heading says, I want to type a word and give the edges of the letters a round, does anyone use software that can do this easy enough that I can then send to the 3d Printer.

thanks in advance

Ken

You could create 3d text in Sketchup and use the third-party bevel / rounding plugin to round the edges.

123 Design is super easy to do text with and is made to export 3d printer files and it's free too boot.

Engineer-in-Training
    I wonder if he means a rounded (domed) top

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Use blender, it's free and all can be done in the one program, I wouldn't bother with anything else to do text, it does a perfect job.

Once you have it done to your liking, select the object, press CTRL-C, mesh from curve, export to STL and there you go, under a minutes work.

derp.jpg
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well Geoff, I have blender downloaded, but haven't played with it yet..... guess I will now.

I do use Sketchup with the Roundcorners plugin. That also would take about a minute to do.

Engineer
    If anyone wants to know how to in catia or solidworks. Here's how:
    In Catia or solidworks, use draft, writes some letters and save them as vector such as dxf or dwg. Then you import your text which is vector based. Extrude and use edge fillet.
    Works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    If anyone wants to know how to in catia or solidworks. Here's how:
    In Catia or solidworks, use draft, writes some letters and save them as vector such as dxf or dwg. Then you import your text which is vector based. Extrude and use edge fillet.
    Works very well.
    Hey Richard, you do know there is a little free soft to avoid the step in the sketcher, right ?

Engineer-in-Training
    I was too also going to ask about the steps. If it's the same steps, that is.

The curved top, whether from Blender or Sketchup/Roundcorners, will be stepped according to the layer height, correct?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Use blender, it's free and all can be done in the one program, I wouldn't bother with anything else to do text, it does a perfect job.

Once you have it done to your liking, select the object, press CTRL-C, mesh from curve, export to STL and there you go, under a minutes work.

derp.jpg
    Hello Geoff, I have begun the Learning curve of Blender and it seems to be perfect as it allows an easy and quick method of adding a Bevel. Problem I'm trying to get around now is the Sizing. I have changed to Metric, and trying to work out how I can make the Text a certain size so when I export to STL it comes into ReplicatorG correctly. Any solution to this?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast