Close

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    cheers :-)

Any idea on the final retail price and where it'll ship from ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Heated bed for $300 ?

Staff Engineer
    Sadly, it has no heated bed planned. And it would be more complicated than just tossing one onto the platform to add one.

It'll be under $300, It will almost certainly be $250 like the non-early-bird price (though it probably won't come with the free filament like the IGG pledge rewards do).

As for updates, the last one was before CES, with a preview render of their CES booth setup, there wasn't a regular update email however. I would assume that they were pretty busy at CES though, so I'll forgive it.

Staff Engineer
    Allright, so it has been quiet the past few weeks, though that doesn't mean the team hasn't been busy. I had been looking forward to their report back from CES and it was worth the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by New Matter
    Hello New Matter supporters!

We’re back from CES and we have so much fun stuff to share with you! We had an amazing show and we’re excited to give you an inside look at the festivities. As we told you in previous newsletters, the MOD-t was a 2015 CES Innovation Award Honoree! We’re so proud to have won this award for the MOD-t’s beautiful design and original mechanics.

Proud Papa!

A look at the MOD-t's home during CES2015!

At the show, we re-introduced ourselves to the public! Quite a number of attendees were impressed by the MOD-t and the New Matter Store - the 3D print quality and printer design were not overlooked. Tons of press and media were also interested in getting their first look at the printer in action.

Steve and the MOD-t on CES Live!
    The booth looks kinda sparse, but I suppose it's sparse in a good way. The update also contained fan-photos (which were tweeted with the #MODtSelfie tag), and they were pretty good, it looks like the place was packed with people. (I felt bad enough about copying over three of the official photos from the update, putting all the selfies in would have streched the page out.)

And congrats on the Innovation Award, (and just as importantly, all the good press,) it was well earned.

great - just need to get a uk distributor, otherwise it'll cost more than the flashforges, by the time the bastards at inland ravenue have charged you £10 for the privilege of paying 20% tax. And postage from the states is criminal.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    £10 for the privilege of paying 20% tax.
    Oh wow, that's terrible. Though I'm pretty sure there are similar import taxes here too...

dunno - tax in the states seems to depend very much on the state you live in.

The really weird thing I find is that vat isn't added to an item untill you get to the checkout. So you have no idea what something will actualy cost based on it's price tag.
    You dollar stores - aren't.

In canada they claim this is for the indians, who don't pay tax.

Surely it would make more sense to add tax to the price of everything and then just discount for the indians at the checkout.

Staff Engineer
    Wow, sorry I missed last weeks update, though there's not a whole lot of technical stuff in it, now it's a bit eclipsed by one of the beta tester prints that just got reported on. (pretty darn cool light switch cover, I must say.)
    Now that CES is over, the prototype machines have made it back home safely and are printing away tirelessly. We’ve repurposed our booth furniture as a prototype display area. Optimization of operational parameters continues (speeds, temperatures, displacements) in effort to make the quality of the prints very good.

All systems go! The perfect space to monitor all prototypes.
    So hey, that CES furniture is getting put to good use. I consistently get the impression that these guys just have a habit of saving money and avoid spending on trivial stuff, which I like.

Staff Engineer
    Okay, so this was a pretty huge update, and I'm going to apologize in advance for all the huge pictures, but they're worth it for the nice close look at print results.
    This week, we wanted to give you an up-close and personal look at some of our prints. You all very well know that our MOD-t prototypes have been printing day in, day out for optimizing the print parameters for different geometries, filaments, print bed and to improve the quality and repeatability of our prints. So we wanted to give you an update on how the 3D prints are holding up after it’s been running for kilometers. Here is a closer look into the latest and greatest prints so you can judge the quality yourselves.

First up is a light switch plate, which gives some good example of top layer resolution. It has a few blemishes on the ribs, but overall not bad.

Next a can holder, showing some pretty good quality on the thread and texture. Looks about as good as anything I've seen come off my friend's Makerbot.

Of course, the can holder also has a lid, and the quality on that is pretty good as well. It looks like they used a pretty light infill, which shows through the top layer just a little bit.

Frankly, I've never been a great judge of print quality through photos, but if these are really the results one can consistently get out of the MOD-t, then I'll be quite happy with it.

Oh, hey, also they're hiring (I haven't looked at the positions myself, as they're kind of on the other side of the country from me, and probably need a different field of expertise than I could provide.)

This looks spectacular - wow!

What are their plans for releasing to the public after the Indiegogo campaign is completed? I'd be very interested in picking one of these up!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast