Close

Newbie here with basic questions!

Hi everyone! I'm very excited that I have my printer up and running. But now I have a few basic questions.

1.) What temperature do you guys recommend for the hot end and (basalt)heated bed? I plan on using PLA almost exclusively, from this source (http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281205964207)

2.) What speed do you recommend for the feed rate? I prefer quality over speed.

3.) Do you recommend using a fan for PLA, and if so what speed?

4.) Do you have any special tricks or a routine for preparing the build surface? Taping, cleaning, spraying, etc

5.) Any thing else you can think of!

EDIT:
    My printer is a QU-BD Two-Up, if that helps!

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Apollo; 09-26-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the type of printer I have

You ask a lot of good questions, unfortunately many do not have a simple answer. I do not see what printer you have so any suggestions here are generalizations.

PLA prints within a range of temps but each style of printer varies with the hot end and thermostor/thermocouple type. I have a Printrbot that prints PLA fine all day at 185-190 degrees. The same PLA needs to print at 210 in my Prusa i3 Mendel. I am guessing that the temperatures at the nozzle are relative. You will have to learn what your printer likes? If you have an open extruder type, you may be abe to get a ball park figure by heating up the extruder and turning the feed wheel to see if it flows easily?

Again, speed is dependent on machine. My Prusa has to print much slower than my Kossel Delta printer due mainly to design and print head weight. On a perimeter print like a vase, I can ramp up the Kossel to 300 percent of normal and get good prints.

I typically print PLA on Blue Painters Tape with a heated bed temp of 40 or 45. I print on Kapton Tape for my ABS machines at 100 degrees. My son prints right on the glass with glue stick. However, we were given some BuildTak at last weeks Maker Faire and on our Printrbot and Untimaker 2, it seems to print fine with nothing but the BuildTak? We only have 30 hours printing on it but so far, it works great! I plan to try it on my Prusa and Kossel soon. The CUBE 3 uses a special plate glue that comes with the machine. I do not know what it is but I experimented with blue tape, blue tape cleaned with alcohol and glue stick and none of them worked.

Good luck and enjoy your printer.

Thank you very much for the help! And for pointing out that I didn't out what type of printer I have! It's a QU-BD TwoUp, if you have any more suggestions? Also, were your suggested temperatures Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Thanks!

I am in the process of testing a spray on rubber type of material sold under the name of Plasti Dip. It is available from Auto shops for about $US10 per spray can. Here is some information about it:

Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose, air dry, specialty rubber coating. It can be easily applied by dipping, brushing, or spraying. Plasti Dip protective coating is ideal for a broad array of do-it-yourself projects around the home, garage, garden and elsewhere. It protects coated items against moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. Plasti Dip remains flexible and stretchy over time, and will not crack or become brittle in extreme weather conditions. It has been tested and proven in temperatures from -34ºc to +93ºc. Plasti Dip can be dipped, brush coated and sprayed. Add more layers for greater protection and grip.
    PLASTI DIP® resists moisture, acids, abrasion, weathering, electrical shock, skidding/slipping, corrosion; coats and gives a comfortable, controlled, colour coded grip to all types of tools: lawn and garden, mechanical, electrical, woodworking and masonry. PLASTI DIP® is flexible and won’t crack, chip, peel or become brittle, insulates from electric shock, vibration and heat. (Non-skid grit can also be added.)

Old Man Emu