Close

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I'm just wondering about a possible thermal runaway situation. ... If I recall, that problem was with the heated bed - it would heat up OK but then in the print the bed temp would drop off just enough and for a long enough period to trip the thermal runaway condition that shuts down the print.
    I've been having that trouble myself occasionally since I started using RCBugfix. The bed heater seems to stall out, then the print cancels and the printer disconnects from OctoPi. I'm glad to hear it's a known issue, and that there's a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    I've been having that trouble myself occasionally since I started using RCBugfix. The bed heater seems to stall out, then the print cancels and the printer disconnects from OctoPi. I'm glad to hear it's a known issue, and that there's a workaround.
    We are near the end of RC-7. I'm not sure that I remember any thermal issues in RC-7. I do remember some issues in RC-6.

The only thing concerning thermal issues lately is this thread speculating there may be a bug in the way the PID algorithm works:

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/4881

If you are having problems with your heaters doing the right thing, please let us know!!!

Engineer-in-Training
    Where does one post these issues? I am relatively new to the debugging process. before I used the Bec release with great success. I think it may be a PID issue. As soon as the fan is on and anywhere close to the nozzle the temps drop like a rock without the sock on. I have had issues before with air cooling the nozzle down but the printer could usually keep up and the temp only would drop a few degrees.

I took off the silicone E3D sock heated the nozzle to 210 and then turned on the fan. The temps dropped to below 148 in less than 30 seconds. As soon as the air hit the nozzle it was as if the PID had no idea what to do. With the sock on and the fan set to full the temp drops a little, about 10 degrees or so.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    We are near the end of RC-7. I'm not sure that I remember any thermal issues in RC-7. I do remember some issues in RC-6. The only thing concerning thermal issues lately is this thread speculating there may be a bug in the way the PID algorithm works: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/4881 If you are having problems with your heaters doing the right thing, please let us know!!!
    So far my only problems have been with the print bed heater, and I (think I) have it on a bang-bang setup, not PID. I have my bed heater connected through a relay, so I don't think PID or PWM would be a good option. The issue is somewhat rare, though. Maybe only once in 7-8 prints.

So far my only problems have been with the print bed heater, and I (think I) have it on a bang-bang setup, not PID. I have my bed heater connected through a relay, so I don't think PID or PWM would be a good option. The issue is somewhat rare, though. Maybe only once in 7-8 prints.
    Right! Bang Bang mode is separate from PID. But still... You shouldn't be seeing any problems. If you are running RC-7 and see an issue, please click the 'Issues' button (at: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Ma...3Aupdated-desc ) and describe the problem.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Yes, it's duplicate info, but it's probably worth posting here.

If you are running the Arduino app that MakerFarm recommends (1.06) on a Mac, the latest OS update to Sierra brakes it. You re-install Java after the update. After that the app simply locks up. The solution is stupid. You delete the app and re-install it. Once you do, all is well again.

Bob

Engineer
    Just had the bed throw an error again.

Code:
    Recv: Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed
    Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed
    '
    Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
    That was all the error message OctoPrint gave me. Doesn't say if it was a thermal runaway or not.

Engineer-in-Training
    Just had the bed throw an error again.

Code:
    Recv: Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed
    Changing monitoring state from 'Printing' to 'Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed
    '
    Recv: Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
    That was all the error message OctoPrint gave me. Doesn't say if it was a thermal runaway or not.
    Hi

That looks like thermal runaway to me. Simply put, it's calling for heat for to long a period of time and deciding the thermistor is not responding. Simple answer is to stretch out the timeout, if you do it in firmware. Putting a solid state relay on my printer was a < $15 decision. With PWM the problem has never occurred. To fix it without new hardware, bumping up your power supply voltage might do the trick. Obviously, each of these approaches has its own drawbacks.

Bob

The Thermal Parameters are (in my opinion) overly tight. The people that wrote the Thermal Protection wanted to make them even tighter! I have mine currently at these numbers, but I think I'm going to have to bump the 20 up to 30.

Code:
    #if ENABLED(THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED)
      #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_PERIOD 20    // Seconds
      #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_HYSTERESIS 2 // Degrees Celsius

#define WATCH_BED_TEMP_PERIOD 60                // Seconds
      #define WATCH_BED_TEMP_INCREASE 2               // Degrees Celsius
    #endif

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

A heated bed is a much different animal than a hot end. The numbers you need for one are not what you need for the other. A bed isn't going to kill it's self in a minute or three. A hot end easily could get into big trouble in that amount of time. ....

Bob

Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast