Close

Makerbot Replicator 2X Heating Issues

Hello!

I work at a library that owns a MakerBot Replicator 2X and we've recently been having issues with it. I took it apart to clean the extruder heads (to clear a blockage and to clean the heads which had become gunked up). I have since put it back together multiple times and have not gotten it to work.

Here is what I've tried:

1. Reassembling all the pieces exactly the same way I had taken them apart (repeated multiple times). Error messages: Heating Failure #1 (Software Temp Limit Reached!) and #2 (My extruders are not heating properly). When I try to load filament (to test the heating components) into the right extruder, only the left extruder heats up. Likewise, when I try to load filament into the left, the right heats up. So, both extruders do heat but not as they should. Neither heats up in a pre-heat situation. It never makes it past three bars when heating.

IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1245.jpg

2. I've looked at the motherboard and there are no missing, striped, or mis-alligned wires.

3. I've switched around wires/fans/etc (picture) but get the same error messages.

IMG_1244.jpg

At this point, I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've been suggested through reading. I don't know what's wrong. Contacting Maker Support was a no-go as their forums only lead me in circles. Has anyone experienced this before? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    In older models of the rep 2 and rep 2x the thermocouples were prone to break particularly when taking apart the heater assembly. If I had to bet on it, I bet you have a faulty or broken thermocouple.

Senior Engineer
    You have it wired incorrectly. If one heats but doesn't show heating then you have the thermocouples swapped or the heaters swapped.

Turn one head on to heat and feel which one is getting warm. If it is not the one you expect then swap the heaters over either by doing it at the mother board end or by physically swapping the heaters.

Having got the right heater warming up you now need to check that the temperature for that heater goes up, if not then you have the thermocouples the wrong way round, swap as needed.

Make sure there is no plastic in the bolt hole for the thermocouple mounting, plastic in there will make the bolt feel tight even if it is not and the result is a thermocouple that is not connecting with the aluminium heater block.

If you have asbestos fingers it is better to assemble it all while it is hot.