Close

Question Questions: Buy new or used? What would you buy based on your experiences?

What do you guys and gals out there think? Any experiences with any of the machines or recommend any others? I'm aware of the wide range of DIY open source based to preset builds. And I'm not a true greenhorn here, I've had my hands dirty before, but I'm just kind of stuck on what to do.

What I want in a 3d printer....

1) Precision of .1-.2
    2) Easy-access customization
    3) Multiple filament options
    4) Great Support and community/Troubleshooting
    5) mechanically durable
    6) budget is max of 1700$

What I've scoped in

1) Makerbot Replicator 2 (USED)
    2) Lulzbot TAZ 3 or 4 (USED)
    3) Flashforge Creator Pro (NEW)
    4) Reprap variations (NEW)

My experiences so far...

I've had to return a Used Replicator 2 due to a defective control board (left cooling fan port was just blown), but when it worked it was great! Not to mention I wasn't screwed out of my money I got a full return. I just wished I could of fixed the problem myself and I also wished I could switch and swap parts (maybe you can? I'm not aware of any real mods for it)

I've had a complete ripoff from Mixshop in the past where their original G1 was just...bad as a kit. No real instructions...No organized parts. The parts that were 3D printed were just horrible quality too I had to sand down the holes or forcefully push every rod in. The wires would constantly break and the community behind it was just going through hell trying to get the extruder to work never mind the others stuck on the wiring. And in the end it wasn't worth going any further seeing how the best prints I saw were just horrible to mediocre quality. I've seen very few with good quality prints. I learned a lot out of it and enjoyed the time put in, but it just sucked that I could never get it to work. Also the support team was just horrible/spotty. I still have all the parts disassembled though.

Thoughts on the Top 5 list

- Lulzbot - great support and community, many mods yet durable framework, fast and precise, many filament options
    - Flashforge - Geoff's troubleshooting pages and experiences alone speak volumes. He's the main reason why I'm considering it.
    - Reprap - I know saying Reprap is like saying I want to make a car... what type? the car type. But I wanted a Reprap variation that's obviously well supported, durable, and with great accuracy. I could go out and design my own, but right now I don't have the time during the semester.

Anywho....

What do you think is the best bet based off what I mentioned and really just based on your own experience and expertise? Is it good to buy a used 3k machine (assuming good support/returns) or better to get a new 1.5k machine? It would mean the world to me to have even the smallest advice/feedback.

Buy a new Ultimaker 1+

Hi JohnA136! Thanks for the reply. What's your reasoning compared to the others?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by theguywhosignsin View Post
    Hi JohnA136! Thanks for the reply. What's your reasoning compared to the others?
    I concur with John, I love my flashforge but if I had the budget to buy an Ultimaker, I would, they really do produce some insane quality for an FDM printer.

So even if there is a chance of getting a lulzbot or makerbot replicator 2 used for the same price you would say nay? I only ask because having the Makerbot before... it was really reliable/easy maintenance up until the board died. I have confidence in my skill to build the Ultimaker + and would most likely be happy with it as much as any other.

I have time for tinkering but I also do appreciate stable design. I am very flip floppy on this decision as you can tell lmao. How would you compare the three overall? Or what are your opinions or thoughts of each?

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    How about the SeemeCNC Delta Orion? Check it out, I love mine.

The delta is really nice and the quality is beautiful both machine/prints. I'm actually checking out the Rostock with the huge build volume... it just looks incredible! How often does the Orion break down and what exactly breaks? I'm definitely considering it just for the price, quality, and it just looks so cool lmao. Not to mention I like the setup for the extruder and hotend. The Ultimaker though is still top bar quality wise. Lots of assessing to do.

I'm going for the Rostock on this one. The Ultimaker/Makerbot were easily my heartbreaking second choice, but just seeing how massive this build is yet accurate (.05mm) and has shown such a long haul in development in the past two years shows great support and community behind it. The decision to take on building a colossal printer and knowing its rewards in the end is far worth its low price.

I know my max budget was 1700 but that would also mean I'd have to pay some on credit as well which was only preferred if it truly was a big leap in quality and service.

Thank you guys for your suggestions its truly appreciated.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    The Rostock will do really well for you. The SeeMeCNC forum has very nice and knowledgable people there. I had my first problem at 350 hours, and it was a $2.00 resistor that burnt up. I replaced it with a $9.00 cartridge heater and now the machine runs even better.

Hi,

I bought my first FDM printer more than a year ago, Felix 2.0, no regrets at all. But the surface quality of FDM might have reached a certain plateau i my opinion.

But if i had to buy my first printer today, not entirely sure i would go FDM, especially looking at all the new DLP and SLA printers shooting through KickStarter. I pledged for the Titan1, which i should receive before year end, and now other DLP's are coming down in prices. The technology is developing so fast, that a one-year old printer, is kind of old already.

So i don't think i would buy a second hand if it was launched more than a year ago.